[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DAK CDROM offer: advice and query

herman@m2.csc.ti.com (Herman Schuurman) (11/16/90)

In their Winter '91 issue, DAK is advertising an external Sony CDROM
unit with six CDROM discs for $699.  What is the catch on this offer?
$699 seems to be a reasonable price for a CDROM drive that's also
capable of playing back audio, and the CDROM discs that come with the
drive seem to be useful (encyclopedia, reference library, Maps and
Charts, Classical Literature, and dictionaries).  So again, what's the
catch here?

Herman Schuurman (herman@m2.csc.ti.com)

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (11/16/90)

In article <HERMAN.90Nov15114020@m2.csc.ti.com> herman@m2.csc.ti.com
(Herman Schuurman) writes:
>In their Winter '91 issue, DAK is advertising an external Sony CDROM
>unit with six CDROM discs for $699.  What is the catch on this offer?
>$699 seems to be a reasonable price for a CDROM drive that's also
>capable of playing back audio, and the CDROM discs that come with the
>drive seem to be useful (encyclopedia, reference library, Maps and
>Charts, Classical Literature, and dictionaries).  So again, what's the
>catch here?

There is no catch, it's a good deal.  I ordered one myself.  I talked to their
`technical` people about it and there are no `gotchas` that I could see.  You
can't even buy that drive alone (e.g. from CD ROM, Inc) for that price.  They
just got a good deal on quantity I guess.  Besides, if you don't like it, you
have 30 days to return it and get a full refund.

I only hope it doesn't take 3 months to arrive.  People who have ordered their
386SX machines with the internal CD ROM in July have still not received their
order :-(

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail: {bu-cs,talcott}   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:      !encore!schwalbe   `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (11/23/90)

I have bought many things from DAK and haven't had a problem with
their products or their support yet.  I purchased one thing from them
and it wasn't what I expected and I returned it with no questions
asked.  Give it a shot, you have 30 days to return it if you are not
COMPLETELY satisfied.  I too have thought about the CD ROM.  The
software alone is worth the $699.
--

Dean Lodzinski         DEAN_L@TURBO.Kean.edu, lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      csra19@TURBO.Kean.edu or D.LODZINSKI on GEnie

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (12/01/90)

In <Nov.22.18.07.09.1990.18322@pilot.njin.net> lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) writes:

[on DAK computer/software bundle]
>.  Give it a shot, you have 30 days to return it if you are not
>COMPLETELY satisfied.  I too have thought about the CD ROM.  The
>software alone is worth the $699.

Not even close.  I can't consider Wordstar Expert Pro Auteur (or
whatever the current version is called) to be worth anything like its
$600 list price.  Aside from it's notorious shortcomings, DAK sell it
separately, with a couple other programs thrown in, for $50.  The
remaining programs *might* be worth $700 -- if you actually need them!
Something you can't use is no bargain, whatever the price.

Aside from the obvious costs, consider the value of the time and effort
you spend making sure the computer actually works (and every vendor
ships a dud occasionally) and that it meets your needs, all with the
help of a sales person not much more ept than you.  DAK should stick to
what it knows how to do:  selling remaindered adult toys.
--

	ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

		THIS STATEMENT IS VERIFIABLY, IRREFUTABLY TRUE!

gwni@troi.cc.rochester.edu (G. Wayne Nichols) (12/02/90)

In <17810@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:

>In <Nov.22.18.07.09.1990.18322@pilot.njin.net> lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) writes:

>[on DAK computer/software bundle]
>>.  Give it a shot, you have 30 days to return it if you are not
>>COMPLETELY satisfied.  I too have thought about the CD ROM.  The
>>software alone is worth the $699.

>Not even close.  I can't consider Wordstar Expert Pro Auteur (or
>whatever the current version is called) to be worth anything like its
>$600 list price.  Aside from it's notorious shortcomings, DAK sell it
>separately, with a couple other programs thrown in, for $50.  The
>remaining programs *might* be worth $700 -- if you actually need them!
>Something you can't use is no bargain, whatever the price.

Actually, the software referred to in the first post is for the
CD-ROM drive, such as the Encyclopedia, the Atlas, etc.
This was *not* a reference to the standard DAK software bundle
of Wordstar, Grammatik "n", Quattro, etc.

That might change the perceived value of the software involved
with the CD-ROM offer.