[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Reading Apple II disks

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/01/90)

 I would like to be able to read (and write if possible) Apple II
disks on my 386sx. I am aware of at least one product that claims to add this
capability - Matchpoint-PC from MicroSolutions. This is a card (only?) that
hooks into the existing hardware and enables you to use one of their s/w
products, Uniform, to acess the diskette.

  ARe there any other alternatives (besides the obvious serial connection,
please *don't* bother mentioning it). I would have thought that the Copy-II
PC Option Board from Central Point could do something with this, with the
proper software but their sales support doesn't know or acknowledge any
such capability. Can anybody correct/clarify this ? If it's not possible
could anyone give me a simple explanation why or, better yet, direct me
to a published discussion of the problem.

Jeff Sicherman
up the net without a .sig

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (12/01/90)

The first version of the Copy II PC card would copy apple II diskettes
and do bit level editing. The editing was limited because on the disks
it takes as I recall, 6 bits to represent 4 logical bits. The program had
no knowledge of formats beyond this. Nor did there seem to be a way to
copy the bits from the disk into a  MSDOS file for processing by another
program. So I think that while the hardware capacity is there, the software
is not, and with no documentation, hard to generate on one's own.
  The newer versions support Mac disks at a logical level, but don't
seem to read the apple II disks.
Clarence Wilkerson

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher,,255RTFM,255rtfm) (12/01/90)

Apples do not use a hardware style FD controller. Instead, they
used a mostly software scheme Woz developed. There is no way to
read their disks with a PeeSea FD controller.

You can add hardware that does both, but I have no idea if such
a board is still available. At one point, there was.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM

naschell@sunee.waterloo.edu (NA Schellenberge) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.225316.19409@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
>Apples do not use a hardware style FD controller. Instead, they
>used a mostly software scheme Woz developed. There is no way to
>read their disks with a PeeSea FD controller.

Does anyone know if it would be possible just to read in the raw (i.e. Woz
encoded) data using the PC FD controller and then massage the sectors in
memory so that they can be used?  After all, this is pretty much what both
DOS and ProDOS used to do with their translation tables.  The only question
is: can the FDC read the Apple II disk at all (is it physically possible to
read the data from the disk maybe even with address/data headers still
embedded)?

--
+------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
! Neil A. Schellenberger !   "Wakey Wakey, Polly!" - JC. /  I      !

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.181810.9340@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

> I would like to be able to read (and write if possible) Apple II
>disks on my 386sx. I am aware of at least one product that claims to add this
>capability - Matchpoint-PC from MicroSolutions. This is a card (only?) that
>hooks into the existing hardware and enables you to use one of their s/w
>products, Uniform, to acess the diskette.

I have a Trackstar board.  It is an Apple //e co-processor that plugs into
your pc.  It will use the hard disk, an external Apple disk drive or some
brands of 360K pc drives.  It is a true co-processor.  It will continue to
run while you do something in pc mode.  I have one available that is brand
new.  The retail is $445, but I'm selling it for $250.  Add $50 for an
external Apple disk drive.  If you're interested, I can also send you a
package of information from the manufacturer.  Just send me you address.
I use one of these boards to maintain a bbs that supports both pc and
Apple2 machines.  It works great!!!  Phone calls welcome, 205-730-8614.