[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Whither VEISA?

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (11/29/90)

So for months I've been reading that there is a STANDARD for video
beyond IBM VGA and it's called VEISA. Yet, to date, no software
package gives you this choice for display adaptors, nobody has
announced hardware compatibility in a display board (except
some TSR's from STB), and nobody is offering replacement firmware
for video boards that meet the specs. What gives?

daly@ecs.umass.edu (11/29/90)

In article <36317@cup.portal.com>, schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:
> So for months I've been reading that there is a STANDARD for video
> beyond IBM VGA and it's called VEISA. Yet, to date, no software
                                 ^^^^^
I think you mean to say VESA here.  VEISA is ALR's brand name for their EISA
bus system.  VESA is the standard for SVGA.

> package gives you this choice for display adaptors, nobody has
> announced hardware compatibility in a display board (except
> some TSR's from STB), and nobody is offering replacement firmware
> for video boards that meet the specs. What gives?
I know ATI at least is offering a TSR that works with their earlier boards
(later ones have VESA built in?) that gives them VESA compatiblity.  I use
the ATI VESA TSR and the VESA driver to view GIF pictures at SVGA resolutions
using VUIMG 2.75 (the VESA driver comes as a standard driver with VUIMG275).
Everything works fine, and I didn't need to upgrade my hardware at all.

Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/30/90)

In article <36317@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:
|So for months I've been reading that there is a STANDARD for video
|beyond IBM VGA and it's called VEISA. Yet, to date, no software
|package gives you this choice for display adaptors, nobody has
|announced hardware compatibility in a display board (except
|some TSR's from STB), and nobody is offering replacement firmware
|for video boards that meet the specs. What gives?

Maybe because you're asking for the wrong thing. It's called VESA,
and their phone number is 408 971 7525.

There are several Super VGA cards that support it, like the Sigma
Legend and some others who I don't recall.

The reason no one has announced hardware compatibility is that
VESA is a BIOS interface.

I've also seen software packages that support it although again,
I don't recall which ones.

As for upgrades, you should contact your vendor. Of course, the
cheaper ones are likely to take longer to get with the program
than if you went with a Paradise or similar big name.
--
Compost: it's the right thing to do.

fenger@buster.uucp (Steven V Fenger) (12/03/90)

In article <36317@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:
>So for months I've been reading that there is a STANDARD for video
>beyond IBM VGA and it's called VEISA. Yet, to date, no software
>package gives you this choice for display adaptors, nobody has
>announced hardware compatibility in a display board (except
>some TSR's from STB), and nobody is offering replacement firmware
>for video boards that meet the specs. What gives?

As I'm sure you know now, its VESA, and yes there still around.  As a
matter of fact, they now have defined a whole slew of standard BIOS calls
for screen resolutions up to 1280x1024.  Several manufactures will be
supporting the VESA bios calls.  Headland (Video 7) comes to mind as one
of the major players that will be introducing VESA cards.

Steven Fenger
fenger@buster.cps.msu.edu

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec3.025914.23319@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> fenger@buster.uucp (Steven V Fenger) writes:

>As I'm sure you know now, its VESA, and yes there still around.  As a
>matter of fact, they now have defined a whole slew of standard BIOS calls
>for screen resolutions up to 1280x1024.  Several manufactures will be
>supporting the VESA bios calls.  Headland (Video 7) comes to mind as one
>of the major players that will be introducing VESA cards.
>
>Steven Fenger
>fenger@buster.cps.msu.edu

 About a month ago I saw a Brady book on Super VGA which proports to include
information on the VESA standard. Does anyone know if it could have been
complete and official long enough ago to be in a book currently out ?

Jeff Sicherman

fenger@buster.uucp (Steven V Fenger) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.054946.28099@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:
>In article <1990Dec3.025914.23319@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> fenger@buster.uucp (Steven V Fenger) writes:
>>[My previous acticle about new VESA 1280x1024 standards deleted]
>
> About a month ago I saw a Brady book on Super VGA which proports to include
>information on the VESA standard. Does anyone know if it could have been
>complete and official long enough ago to be in a book currently out ?
>
>Jeff Sicherman

I doubt that the 1280x1024 VESA standards are published yet, they were
just agreed upon.  The book most likely contains the previous VESA
standards for 640x480 (256 colors) and 800x600 (16 colors) screens.
These standards were developed just as VGA clone cards and pushed EGA
clone cards were coming out.  They really didn't define much over IBM's
standard and most card manufactures quickly blew past VESA's limited
definitions to 800x600 (256 colors) and 1024x768 (16 colors, now 256
colors.)

VESA most likely came out with the 1280x1024 (and 1024x768) standards to
beat IBM before IBM could introduced its rumored 8514+ (1280x1024)
standard.

Steven Fenger
fenger@buster.cps.msu.edu