[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Strange Floppy Behavior

millman@garnet.Sbi.COM (Phillip Millman) (12/05/90)

I have a very strange problem with my floppy drives.  If any of you have an
idea what's wrong please let me know.

System Configuration
Northgate 386/20 w/ 1 MB of RAM
VGA card (at memory location cc00)

My old hard drive died (After the warranty of course) and I decided to replace
the RLL hard Drive (& controller) with a SCSI Drive.  I bought a Seagate ST-02
HD/FD Controller(SCSI) and a ST-296N 85 MB Drive.  After I remembered the memory
location of the video board, I was able to get the HD to work.  It works fine.
The floppies however demonstrate really STRANGE behavior.  I put in floppy #1
into drive A.  Do a dir, and I get the correct directory listing.  Now I
put in floppy # 2 into drive A.  Do a dir and I get the directory listing
of FLOPPY #1.  Only if I do a <ctrl-C> (to clear the buffer) between dir's do
I get the correct results.  With this problem I can't run any install programs
that involve more than one disk!!

HELP!! I don't know what is wrong

Thanks

--
Phillip Millman					My Opinoins are my own
Salomon Bros.	1 (212) 855 2221		because nobody else will

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (12/05/90)

In article <969@garnet.Sbi.COM> millman@garnet.Sbi.COM (Phillip Millman) writes:
>I have a very strange problem with my floppy drives.  If any of you have an
>idea what's wrong please let me know.
>

>Only if I do a <ctrl-C> (to clear the buffer) between dir's do
>I get the correct results.

It's the 'Disk Change' signal:

	1) Your drive might not be generating it.

	2) Your floppy controller is non-compatible. If this problem did *NOT*
	occur with the same drives and the older controller, your new floppy
	controller is the culprit.

	3) If you're lucky, it's only a loose connector. Try reseating them.

[This was discussed recently]