[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ethernet boards

heidnes@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Hans Eidnes) (12/03/90)

A hardware question for those who are familiar with different ethernet
adapters on the PC or PS/2.

Do these four cards handle multicast packets differently in hardware?

3c523     (MCA)
ni9210    (MCA)
ni5210    (ISA)
wd8003e   (ISA)

- Hans Eidnes                         e-mail : heidnes@lise.unit.no
  Centre for Computer Aided Learning           dsl-unit@unit.no
  The University of Trondheim         phone  : (+47-7-59) 47 88
  Norway

--
- Hans Eidnes                         e-mail  : heidnes@lise.unit.no
  Senter for datast|ttet l{ring                 dsl-unit@unit.no

dale@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dale B) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec3.145208.25230@ugle.unit.no> heidnes@spurv.runit.sintef.no (Hans Eidnes) writes:
>A hardware question for those who are familiar with different ethernet
>adapters on the PC or PS/2.
>
>Do these four cards handle multicast packets differently in hardware?
>
>3c523     (MCA)
>ni9210    (MCA)
>ni5210    (ISA)
>wd8003e   (ISA)
>
>- Hans Eidnes                         e-mail : heidnes@lise.unit.no

The question is not real clear, but I believe the answer is yes.  I think the
wd8003 & 3c523 use the Nat. Semi. 8390 NIC Lan chip, while the ni9210/5210 use
the Intel 82586.  The 8390 uses a 64 bit mask to imperfectly filter multicast
addresses from the 6 MSBs of the CRC of the address.  The 82586 takes a list
of multicast addresses to be accepted.   I've always thought the 82586 did
perfect filtering, but re-reading the data book indicates I may have wrong.
Apparently the 82586 generates a 64 bit hash table from the address list and
uses bits 2-7 of the CRC to filter.
BTW often drivers using the 8390 implement perfect filtering in the
driver code and drivers using the 82586 generally do not.

		Dale