[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Format problems

elliott@aero.org (Kenneth B. Elliott III) (11/21/90)

Hopefully, someone out there has encountered and solved this problem.
I just purchased a Sony 3.5" 1.44 M drive (as a second drive) for my
AT clone (Bondwell--the ultimate clone machine).  My first drive is a
5.25" 1.2 M drive.  I've got a WD1003-WA2 controller.  Once I finally
got it installed and set up as drive B:, I was able to copy to and
from it just fine.  However, when I try to format it using Norton
Safe-format, it refuses, saying there's an error in the system area.
DOS normal format barfs over it also.  Since I can successfully read
and write, and given that this happens with every one of the ten 3.5"
disks I've tried, I suspect that its a hardware problem
(oooooooohhhhh, bad word).  I've tried the old pin 34 fix just on the
off-chance that it was the culprit, but I still can't format.  Any
suggestions?  Please e-mail and I'll summarize if there is sufficient
interest.

KBEIII
--

Ken Elliott
elliott@aerospace.aero.org

kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) (11/28/90)

In article <ELLIOTT.90Nov20195545@sungod.aero.org>, elliott@aero.org (Kenneth B. Elliott III) writes:
 >Hopefully, someone out there has encountered and solved this problem.
 >I just purchased a Sony 3.5" 1.44 M drive (as a second drive) for my
 >AT clone (Bondwell--the ultimate clone machine).  My first drive is a
 >5.25" 1.2 M drive.  I've got a WD1003-WA2 controller.  Once I finally
 >got it installed and set up as drive B:, I was able to copy to and
 >from it just fine.  However, when I try to format it using Norton
 >Safe-format, it refuses, saying there's an error in the system area.
 >DOS normal format barfs over it also.

     Have you tried using "driver.sys" in your config.sys?

     Here is what I have on my XT clone's 3.5 inch floppy (720K).

     device=driver.sys /d:1 /c /f:2 /h:2 /s:9 /t:80.
--
						Port'naybl

key!beep!kris
woodowl!beep!kris

"Look what they've done to my program, look what they've done to my code;
 They stuck it all on this floppy disk, and I think they got it wrong, ma..."

polo@hagar.Solbourne.COM (Dave Polakowski) (12/05/90)

In article <113@beep.UUCP> kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) writes:

>     Here is what I have on my XT clone's 3.5 inch floppy (720K).
>
>     device=driver.sys /d:1 /c /f:2 /h:2 /s:9 /t:80.
                        ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
Can someone tell me what these parameters do?  I figured out that
/s: is the sectors and /t: is the number of tracks, but what about
the rest?  Are there any others?  Thanks loads.

--
             _-^-_               | Dave Polakowski (303)678-4700
            / O O \              | Solbourne Computer, Inc.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.183016.13226@Solbourne.COM> polo@hagar.Solbourne.COM (Dave Polakowski) writes:
>In article <113@beep.UUCP> kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) writes:
>>
>>     Here is what I have on my XT clone's 3.5 inch floppy (720K).
>>
>>     device=driver.sys /d:1 /c /f:2 /h:2 /s:9 /t:80.
>                        ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
>Can someone tell me what these parameters do?  I figured out that
>/s: is the sectors and /t: is the number of tracks, but what about
>the rest?  Are there any others?  Thanks loads.

If you RTFM that came with DOS (you did buy it, didn't you?)

switch       function
/d:          Physical drive number, ranging from 0 to 127.
             The first physical floppy disk drive is number 0...

/c           Indicates that the physical drive reference ahs change-line
             support in the hardware.  This means that the physical disk
             drive can sense that the drive door has been opened.

/f:          0 = 160/180K or 320/360K
             1 = 1.2M
             2 = 720k
             7 = 1.44M

/h:          Maximum number of heads, defaults to 2.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Good girls get to go to heaven, but bad girls get to go everywhere!

kris@beep.UUCP (Huh?) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.183016.13226@Solbourne.COM>, polo@hagar.Solbourne.COM (Dave Polakowski) writes:
 >In article <113@beep.UUCP> kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) writes:

 >>     Here is what I have on my XT clone's 3.5 inch floppy (720K).

 >>     device=driver.sys /d:1 /c /f:2 /h:2 /s:9 /t:80.
 >                        ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
 >Can someone tell me what these parameters do?  I figured out that
 >/s: is the sectors and /t: is the number of tracks, but what about
 >the rest?  Are there any others?  Thanks loads.

        /d: physical drive number-- floppy disks start at 00H
                                     fixed disks start at 80H
        /h: is number of heads
        /n: means "non-removable media" [like a hard disk, I guess]
        /s: is number of sectors
        /t: is number of tracks
        /c  "change-line (door-lock) supported"
        /f: "form-factor index"--   "f"  means
                                     0   320/360Kbytes
                                     1   1.2Mbytes
                                     2   720Kbytes
                                     3   8-inch single desnity
                                     4   8-inch double density
                                     5   Hard disk
                                     6   Tape drive
                                     7   other

     The manual says "/h:" is the "highest head number".  By experimentation
I determined that "/h:" is actually "number of heads".  I havn't been able to
get "/c" to work here on beep.

     This is from my MS-DOS 3.2 manual Appendix C pages 263-264.

     Also, my 3.5-inch floppy is accessed in 720K mode as drive e: and in
360K mode as drive b:

--
					Kris
					key!beep!kris -OR- woodowl!beep!kris

"For men without women
 are like fish without water to swim in;                       Was (Not Was)
 their eyes bugging out, they flop on the beach                "Shadow & Jimmy"
 and stare up at the girls who are just out of reach."