[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Commodore Amiga monitor -> CGA? EGA? VGA?

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/28/90)

I've got an old Amiga monitor model 1080, the kind that supports both
analog and digital RGB at the flick of a switch. What can I do with this
object? Will it hook up to an EGA card?
I'm most desirous of saving some money....

-JT

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (11/28/90)

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:

>I've got an old Amiga monitor model 1080, the kind that supports both
>analog and digital RGB at the flick of a switch. What can I do with this
>object? Will it hook up to an EGA card?
>I'm most desirous of saving some money....

i have a amiga monitor 1080 type, and am using it as a vga monitor.
its not a very good one, but it works. it also works as an almost
ega monitor in digital mode. (8 colors instead of 64).
i have it attached to an ati card, and it works as vga, except that
the right 3/4 of the screen is on the left half of the crt, and the
left 3/4 of the screen is on the right half. its okay, because everything
is visible, and most of the text is on the left 3/4 of the screen anyway.
also its usable, because i use my herc for text.
does anyone know how to make it display vga properly? i think the
monitor can not scan as fast as the card wants it to, and it is locking
at 1/2 the frequency. perhaps there is some way to make the card
go slower?
gwoho liu.

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Nov27.161816.4411@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:

> I've got an old Amiga monitor model 1080, the kind that supports both
> analog and digital RGB at the flick of a switch. What can I do with this
> object? Will it hook up to an EGA card?
> I'm most desirous of saving some money....

	I'm also interested.  I have the Sony TV/Monitor that is equivalent
to this (1302 or 1311?  I can't remember the number...) and would *love* to
use this on my 386SX system.

	Also, where's a good place to get the cable from?

	Thanx in advance.

	SJO

jcb@frisbee.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (12/06/90)

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) writes:

    In article <1990Nov27.161816.4411@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:

    > I've got an old Amiga monitor model 1080, the kind that supports both
    > analog and digital RGB at the flick of a switch. What can I do with this
    > object? Will it hook up to an EGA card?
    > I'm most desirous of saving some money....

    	I'm also interested.  I have the Sony TV/Monitor that is equivalent
    to this (1302 or 1311?  I can't remember the number...) and would *love* to
    use this on my 386SX system.

    	Also, where's a good place to get the cable from?

    	Thanx in advance.

The KV-1311 can be used on either an Amiga or a PC. On the PC it  does
CGA, which was the standard when it was made. Use a  standard  PC  CGA
cable  and  card.  Note  that the connector is the `other' on from the
Amiga,  however.  It's  the  small  boxy DIN type rather than the flat
strip type. (Hey, I'm just a software dude.)

I assume there are other things that this monitor can be hooked up to,
as it's the most multi-purpose Trinitron I've seen.

If you have a 1302 I believe this information doesn't apply.

-Jim
	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (12/06/90)

In article <43693@cci632.UUCP> sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) writes:
>In article <1990Nov27.161816.4411@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, jtt@cunixd.cc.
>> I've got an old Amiga monitor model 1080, the kind that supports both
>> analog and digital RGB at the flick of a switch. What can I do with this
>> object? Will it hook up to an EGA card?
>	I'm also interested.  I have the Sony TV/Monitor that is equivalent
>to this (1302 or 1311?  I can't remember the number...) and would *love* to
>use this on my 386SX system.

   Those old monitor are almost always close enough to CGA's to be compatible,
but the h & V holds may need a tweek of da knob.
   They should work with most of the aftermarket EGA & VGA cards which allow
you to setup it up towork with a CGA monitor.  (Of course the graphics then
is only basically CGA....)
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu