[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Opinion of PC Brands equipment?

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) (12/06/90)

I'm considering purchase of a new 386/33 or 486/25 system.
Would anybody like to share an opinion of PC Brands quality,
reliability, and performance?

jmidili@hub.cs.jmu.edu (jeff midili) (12/07/90)

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) writes:

>I'm considering purchase of a new 386/33 or 486/25 system.
>Would anybody like to share an opinion of PC Brands quality,
>reliability, and performance?

I was very happy with my PC Brand 386sx until I decided to install
more memory.  The manual said that the machine used 80ns SIMMs,
so that's what I purchased.  Well, when I got the SIMMs, they didn't
fit. So I called Technical Support to confirm that my machine used
SIMMs. I answer I received was "Well, it depends.  Some
machines use SIMMs, some use SIPPs....it just depends on what
Taiwan ships us that week."  I was outraged that PC Brand didn't
even say in their manual that some motherboards use SIMMs and some
SIPPs.  I Tech Support person replyed that they were in a price
war with their competition and could not afford to change the manual.
The manual is nothing more than 60 xeroxed pages stapled together, I
don't see how an extra page could hurt them.

So maybe they'll when that price war, but they lost the reliability
war for me...

Jeff Midili
jmidili@hub.cs.jmu.edu