[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Math coprocessors --- basic info needed

huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) (12/06/90)

Can somebody clue me in on the following two questions about
math coprocessors for a 386 clone (Gateway 386/25):

	1.	I have heard of other companies besides Intel
		that produce and sell them.  Any recommendations?
		Costs?  Compatibility?

	2.	Is there any way to fool a program (e.g. CAD)
		into thinking a math coprocessor exists when it
		really doesn't?  Besides the extreme delay in
		running everything through the 386, would it
		cause any other problems?

Thanks.  E-mail replies appreciated.  Summaries available upon request.
Steve Huff, student, University of Kansas         HomeNet: 913 749 4720
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu   	          Bitnet: HUFF@Ukanvax.Bitnet
Don't_hold_your_breath_net:  P.O. Box 1225, Lawrence, KS  66044-8225

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (12/07/90)

In <27265.275d7c84@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:
>		that produce and sell them.  Any recommendations?
>		Costs?  Compatibility?
yes, IIT sells 3C87 and Cyrix sells 83D87: complete compatibility, good
price ... until now, that is until new things occur ...
>	2.	Is there any way to fool a program (e.g. CAD)
>		into thinking a math coprocessor exists when it
>		really doesn't?  Besides the extreme delay in
>		running everything through the 386, would it
>		cause any other problems?
yes, I've heard about such emulator, and if you REALLY need it, I can try
and search thru my vault ... or can try to fetch from some place (in Paris!).

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (12/08/90)

In article <1556@ftc.framentec.fr>, ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) writes:
> yes, IIT sells 3C87 and Cyrix sells 83D87: complete compatibility, good
> price ... until now, that is until new things occur ...

Cyrix also has the new 83EMC87, their EMC chip.  Very nice from the
performance they quote.

--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) (12/08/90)

So much for the complete compatibility of the Cyrix math coprocessors:
We have already (first attempt) found a 386 clone that the chip doesn't
work with. The fact was acknowledged by the dealer.
So please, everybody, try before you buy....

Jan Eri
jan.eri@sintef.no
janeri@lise.unit.no

goes@vx.acs.umn.edu (JAMES GOES) (12/09/90)

In article <27265.275d7c84@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes...
>Can somebody clue me in on the following two questions about
>math coprocessors for a 386 clone (Gateway 386/25):
>
>	1.	I have heard of other companies besides Intel
>		that produce and sell them.  Any recommendations?
>		Costs?  Compatibility?

Just a note for those looking to upgrade '286 machines.  AMD is
currently offering a pretty good deal on their 80C287 co-processors -
$99 + p&h.  Guaranteed 100% compatible.  Check out recent issues of PC
Weak.
Jim Goes                           |BITNET:   GOES@UMNACVX or JGOES@UMINN1
Health Services Administration     |InterNet: GOES@VX.ACS.UMN.EDU
School of Public Health            |UUCP:     {fav backbone}!uxacs!vxacs!goes
University of Minnesota            |MaBell:   (612) 624-3118
QuayleWatch Quote of the Week: "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession
that teach our family" (recent address to members of the Hudson Institute)

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec8.122259.20246@ugle.unit.no> janeri@lise.unit.no writes:
>So much for the complete compatibility of the Cyrix math coprocessors:
>We have already (first attempt) found a 386 clone that the chip doesn't
>work with. The fact was acknowledged by the dealer.
>So please, everybody, try before you buy....

This might be misleading since you are not clear about who the
dealer is.  Are you talking about the dealer of the Cyrix chip,
or the dealer of the 386 clone?  The *tone* of this posting makes
it look like Cyrix is at fault, but the way you *worded* it makes
it look like the dealer refers to the 386 clone maker, and therefore
*he* might be at fault for providing an incompatible motherboard
(i.e., not using good industry standards).

From all the literature I have read, I have not till now even
heard a whisper about incompatibility with Cyrix's chips.  In fact
just last night a was reading a technical article in Byte about
the 100% compatibility of these chips; the article went into detail
about how many instruction sets were used, etc...

Please clarify!

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec8.183756.17223@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>In article <1990Dec8.122259.20246@ugle.unit.no> janeri@lise.unit.no writes:
>>So much for the complete compatibility of the Cyrix math coprocessors:
>>We have already (first attempt) found a 386 clone that the chip doesn't
>>work with. The fact was acknowledged by the dealer.
>>So please, everybody, try before you buy....
>
>This might be misleading since you are not clear about who the
>dealer is.  Are you talking about the dealer of the Cyrix chip,
>or the dealer of the 386 clone?  The *tone* of this posting makes
>it look like Cyrix is at fault, but the way you *worded* it makes
>it look like the dealer refers to the 386 clone maker, and therefore
>*he* might be at fault for providing an incompatible motherboard
>(i.e., not using good industry standards).

   Also, has it been verified that a *real* intel math coprocessor
will work in this system. It may be the system's fault, not the
chip.

Jeff Sicherman

cs161fhn@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (12/09/90)

I've got a 20 Mhz 386DX that used to be a 16 Mhz 386DX until I changed
the oscillator.  (the CPU and all the C&T chips were stamped '20mhz'
so why not... memory is at 80ns anyway).

Unfortunately, the documentation I got with the motherboard is
rather minimal and I bought it used.

What speed 287 can I drop in?

I'd very much like to get AMD's 10Mhz $99 special so I can play
Falcon 3.0 at higher speed (when it comes out!)

The motherboard is supposedly from Everest, but there's no markings
on it.

--
Dennis Lou               | "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu            | "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec8.122259.20246@ugle.unit.no> I wrote:
>So much for the complete compatibility of the Cyrix math coprocessors:
>We have already (first attempt) found a 386 clone that the chip doesn't
>work with. The fact was acknowledged by the dealer.
>So please, everybody, try before you buy....

I am sorry that my first posting was misleading.

In the above article I'm referring to the dealer of the system, who knew from
previous experience that the chip didn't work in this particular system,
AND that the Intel chips work OK. (this is confirmed!)

This lead me to the same conclusion as Stephen M. Smith : it IS peculiarities
with this particular board! (although as far as we have seen the board works
fine with DOS and OS/2 in all other respects)

The intention with my initial posting was to warn you: It is possible to find systems in which the industry standard Intel chips work OK, but the chip from Cyrix do NOT!

for further details please Email,

Jan Eri
jan.eri@sintef.no
janeri@lise.unit.no

In article <27265.275d7c84@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> huff@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, University of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:

| 	1.	I have heard of other companies besides Intel
| 		that produce and sell them.  Any recommendations?
| 		Costs?  Compatibility?

  The vendors are Cyrix and IIT. I don't know about IIT, but Cyrix wants
the timing to within spec, while Intel will definitely run with some out
of spec timing, such as a 40/60 duty cycle instead of 50/50 on the
clock. Sorry, I don't remember which is specified and which will still
work...

  Anyway, with a good motherboard any of them will work. I have used a
few of the Cyrix clone of the 387SX (part # not handy). It was a hard
choice, the Cyrix is less expensive, lower power (CMOS), and and faster
at the same clock speed. I didn't have to think very hard about it. Cost
$231 for the last one.

| 	2.	Is there any way to fool a program (e.g. CAD)
| 		into thinking a math coprocessor exists when it
| 		really doesn't?  Besides the extreme delay in
| 		running everything through the 386, would it
| 		cause any other problems?

  There are a few emulators around, I think on simtel20. I don't have
their list here. It will be painfully, unbearably slow.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX