[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Help on SCSI drive

mnjafar@wsuiar.uucp (12/08/90)

I have an 2 1/2 year old AT compatable with a DTK motherboard,
I never had compatability or any other kinds of problems with it,
However, recently I bought an ST296N SCSI drive and ST02 SCSI
controller, my machine does not seem to recognize the drive, Is
that generaly a BIOS problem? can I upgrade my BIOS without
problems? Do I have to get DTK BIOS, or can I use others such as
AMI or Phoenix ?.

Thanks

Mohammad

mnjafar@wsuiar.wsu.ukans.edu

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (12/10/90)

In article <454.275faa12@wsuiar.uucp> mnjafar@wsuiar.uucp writes:
>I have an 2 1/2 year old AT compatable with a DTK motherboard,
>I never had compatability or any other kinds of problems with it,
>However, recently I bought an ST296N SCSI drive and ST02 SCSI
>controller, my machine does not seem to recognize the drive, Is
>that generaly a BIOS problem? can I upgrade my BIOS without
>problems? Do I have to get DTK BIOS, or can I use others such as
>AMI or Phoenix ?.

The problem is more likely to be the ST02. This is one of the worst
(albiet cheapest) SCSI controllers you can find. You get what you pay
for. Seagates original BIOS on the STxx cards actually checked the SCSI
manufacturer's ID and refused to talk to non-Seagate drives. They have
been getting a little better, but, still don't work with a lot of drives.
BTW, I assume you have set you driver up as SCSI ID 0 because many SCSI
controllers start scanning at 0 for valid drives and stop when they
find a non-hard drive or a non-responding address.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626