[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Motherboard Swap

seybert@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian Seybert) (11/28/90)

	I am going to replace the motherboard in my xt computer. I am limited,
due to cost to 286 boards. Are there any features that I need to look for
or avoid?
		Thanks in advance,
		  Brian Seybert
Brian Seybert		(317)495-3626	ARPA:	seybert@en.ecn.purdue.edu
McCutcheon Hall Box 1499		BITNET:	seybert@purccvm.BITNET
West Lafayette, IN 47906		UUCP:	pur-ee!seybert

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (12/11/90)

seybert@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian Seybert) writes:

>	I am going to replace the motherboard in my xt computer. I am limited,
>due to cost to 286 boards. Are there any features that I need to look for
>or avoid?
>		Thanks in advance,
>		  Brian Seybert

The least is full LIM 4.0 compatibility in hardware. This will allow you
to run Desqview and multitask between dos applications very efficiently.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.230403.28221@amd.com> indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
|seybert@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian Seybert) writes:
|>	I am going to replace the motherboard in my xt computer. I am limited,
|>due to cost to 286 boards. Are there any features that I need to look for
|>or avoid?
|
|The least is full LIM 4.0 compatibility in hardware. This will allow you
|to run Desqview and multitask between dos applications very efficiently.

I didn't see the original post, but I think LIM 4.0 is not very important
these days unless you really must use DV for some reason. The current
SW like Win3 want extended memory.

Plus you'll have a devil of a time finding LIM 4.0 HW anyway. I know, I
tried. Unless you are willing to buy an AST Premium 286, when I think you
can get a Taiwan 386 clone for less money.

--
There is no right more fundamental than self-defense.