[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] My Sony Multiscan died!

2fmkjerky@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/07/90)

My Sony CPD-1302 monitor was working fine for the last year and a half or so,
and then this morning when I tried to turn it on, it clicked on, and then
the power button started flashing back and forth like it was trying to sync
in (It's a multisync monitor), and then the light went out.  After a few
times of this, it seemed to not even respond at all to the monitor being
turned on.
   I checked power and cable connections, which were fine.  After toying
with it for a bit, the monitor came back up and I used it for a bit before
powering down before I had to leave this afternoon.  When I got back this
evening, it was again not working or even powering up.

My question is, has anyone had this kind of problem with CPD-1302s before?
Sony seems to make quite a good MultiScan monitor, but now I'm starting
to wonder what's wrong with mine..

Any replies or advice would be appreciated...

             Tony Spangler
	   2FMKJERKY@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (12/11/90)

In article <27282.275ef542@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmkjerky@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>My Sony CPD-1302 monitor was working fine for the last year and a half or so,
>and then this morning when I tried to turn it on, it clicked on, and then
>the power button started flashing back and forth like it was trying to sync
>in (It's a multisync monitor), and then the light went out.  After a few
>times of this, it seemed to not even respond at all to the monitor being
>turned on.

I had a similar problem.  It was the power switch.  Sony charged $113
for a carry-in depot repair (Boston area), which sounds high but in my
experience is not at all high.  They also cleaned and readjusted
internal stuff, so the monitor was noticeably better after the repair
than before it broke.
             .----------------------------------------------------------------
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776
	     `----------------------------------------------------------------

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (12/11/90)

2fmkjerky@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>My Sony CPD-1302 monitor was working fine for the last year and a half or so,
>and then this morning when I tried to turn it on, it clicked on, and then
>the power button started flashing back and forth like it was trying to sync
>in (It's a multisync monitor), and then the light went out.  After a few
>times of this, it seemed to not even respond at all to the monitor being
>turned on.
>   I checked power and cable connections, which were fine.  After toying
>with it for a bit, the monitor came back up and I used it for a bit before
>powering down before I had to leave this afternoon.  When I got back this
>evening, it was again not working or even powering up.

>My question is, has anyone had this kind of problem with CPD-1302s before?
>Sony seems to make quite a good MultiScan monitor, but now I'm starting
>to wonder what's wrong with mine..

>Any replies or advice would be appreciated...

I had the same problem with mine... Question I have for you: Are you
running the 1302 at 1024x768 resolution? According to Sony, the 1302 is
not designed to go that high per spec. However, you can drive it that
high for a long time until certain components begin to display age. You
are not damaging the 1302, per the local Sony techie, the auto shutoff
kicks in much before damage.

If you are not running at 1024x768, then I am not sure what the problem
might be.

I bought the 1304... and love it.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (12/11/90)

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) writes:

>I had a similar problem.  It was the power switch.  Sony charged $113
>for a carry-in depot repair (Boston area), which sounds high but in my
>experience is not at all high.  They also cleaned and readjusted
>internal stuff, so the monitor was noticeably better after the repair
>than before it broke.

	My experience wasn't quite as positive. I took mine in to resolve
problems with occasional image shake and slight cutoff at the side edges,
plus severe distortion running Windows with 800x600 resolution (image sucked
in at the sides). It came back slightly improved on the first two counts,
unchanged on the third count. Cost me $94 in labor and tax under (parts)
warranty.