[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Compaq DeskPro power supply "Silent Recall"

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.174612.16313@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> zentner@aliphatic.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael Zentner) writes:

>I've got a Compaq PC which I'm about 90% sure has a blown power supply.
>My question is three fold:
>
>1)  Anyone know where I can get a compaq power supply for the Deskpro
>    for a reasonable price?  Compaqs go for $270 or so, hah!  For those
>    that don't know, I cannot just buy a cheap 150W power supply for an
>    XT because 1) the switch on the compaq comes out the back of the unit,
>    not the side, and 2) the compaq runs the power lines into the
>    motherboard, then from there to the accessories, as opposed to just having
>    several plugs emanating directly from the power supply.  So, anyone know
>    of any power supply cloners making compaq clones?

	[text deleted]
>3)  OK, it's a three parter.  This is the second time I've had the power supply
>    go out in this PC.  Anyone know of similar problems?  I suspect that it's
>    because Compaq runs their default monitors (monochrome EGA text, CGA
>    graphics resolutions) directly out of the box (as opposed to a separate
>    plug), which strikes me as a pretty silly design, but I'm sure there is
>    a reason they did it that way, justified or not.

Yes, I do know about blown power supplies in Compaq Deskpros.  I have one
that died, and my boss is on his 3rd!!! Compaq power supply in his Deskpro.

I have an 8086 based DeskPro, and my boss's is an early 286 based DeskPro.

I bought my machine about 6 months after my boss bought his.  His power supply
went out shortly after the warranty period ended (of course!), and BusinessLand
replaced the power supply for a modest fee (approx. $600).

Shortly after my warranty expired, mine died too.  I was much too impoverished
to fork out $600 without a struggle, so I called the head technician at our
local BusinessLand with the question:  Does Compaq have a "Silent Recall"
policy on DeskPro power supplies?  Happily, the answer was "Yes, if the serial
number on either the chassis or the power supply fall into the following
ranges: (I've forgotten the ranges by now.)"  Luckily, mine was covered, and
BusinessLand replaced the power supply without charge or complaint.

When I told my boss, he called BusinessLand, and with a little talk, got
a refund on his $600.  Sometime later, his replacement unit died.  It turned
out that BusinessLand had replaced the first power supply with one with the
same design fault.  The 2nd unit was replaced under the "Silent Recall" policy.

I would encourage anyone with this problem to contact the seller, or Compaq
to resolve the power supply problem.   If you can't get them to respond, I
can contact a computer repair technician who said he knows how to fix the
Compaq DeskPro power supply design fault.

Ralph Carpenter
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR

gerry@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) (12/11/90)

In article <7005@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) writes:

   I have an 8086 based DeskPro, and my boss's is an early 286 based DeskPro.

   I bought my machine about 6 months after my boss bought his.  His power supply
   went out shortly after the warranty period ended (of course!), and BusinessLand
   replaced the power supply for a modest fee (approx. $600).

Actually, 200+W power supplies can be purchased for <$75.  Replacing
the bugger in a PC takes a screwdriver or two and <30 min.  Pay
some one $600 to do this??  You've got to be nuts!

Of course, if Compaq will replace it for free, that's better.  But
how much down time is involved?

gerry
--
gerry roston, field robotics center
robotics institute, carnegie mellon university

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (12/12/90)

In article <GERRY.90Dec11095923@onion.frc.ri.cmu.edu> gerry@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Gerry Roston) writes:
>In article <7005@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) writes:
>>
>>I have an 8086 based DeskPro, and my boss's is an early 286 based DeskPro.
>>I bought my machine about 6 months after my boss bought his.  His power supply
>>went out shortly after the warranty period ended (of course!),and BusinessLand
>>replaced the power supply for a modest fee (approx. $600).
>
>Actually, 200+W power supplies can be purchased for <$75.  Replacing
>the bugger in a PC takes a screwdriver or two and <30 min.  Pay
>some one $600 to do this??  You've got to be nuts!
>
>Of course, if Compaq will replace it for free, that's better.  But
>how much down time is involved?
>gerry

Yes, 200+ Watt power supplies for IBM Clones can be purchased for $75 or so.
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The rub is that the Compaq DeskPro is not *physically* an IBM Clone.  Instead
of having the power switch on the side, it has the switch in the rear.  Clone
power supplies will not fit.

The cost of that Compaq power supply is why my boss and I are now committed
to only buying Clones, with AT form factors.  Our last two machines were
completely generic, with associated peace of mind.

(One was cheaply upgraded from a 10mhz 286 to a 20mhz 386 with a Mylex
 MotherBoard.  Bonus: A new machine must be depreciated over a 5 year period.
 A new motherboard can be written of the same year.)

Ralph Carpenter
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR

P.S. Usual disclaimers.  I do not represent Tektronix, the IRS or anybody
else.  Advice on the depreciation period came from an accountant.