[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Need advice: 24-pin vs. laser printer

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec10.203848.6834@portia.Stanford.EDU> tchuang@portia.Stanford.EDU ( Chuang) writes:

>   I'm in the market for a personal printer and was wondering
>if it's worth shelling out the money for a laser printer as
>opposed to a 24-pin printer, which might sell for $300.
>
>   From what I've read, the resolution of 24-pin printers is
>comparable to that of the laser printer.  My concern however
>is over the quality of printed output when it comes to printing
>graphics and grey scaled images (eg. using Micrografx Designer,
>etc...).  I am accustomed to laser printed output and have never
>seen graphics output from dot matrix printers using similar
>software.

I have yet to see a dot matrix printer of any kind that
come close to laser quality.  If you can afford a laser
printer I would definitely suggest that you get one.
If it is a little hard on the budget, check out the
desk jet.  Then all you need is a fax card, a scanner,
and some software and you'll have yourself a nice
fax machine.  Scanner optional.  If you have never seen
graphics output from dot matrix printers don't.

  Robin Amano          |  robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
  UHCC                 |
  2565 The Mall        |  Honolulu, HI  96822