[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Dell 386 systems, esp. 310

wilson@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samuel M. Wilson) (12/14/90)

does anyone have strong opinions for or against Dell's 386 line?
Also, does anyone have experience with the 310, 325, or 333, which
might be useful to one, like me, getting his hands on such a machine?
Thanks.

Sam Wilson  [wilson@ix1.cc.utexas.edu]

DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) (12/15/90)

In article <41379@ut-emx.uucp>, wilson@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samuel M. Wilson)
says:

>does anyone have strong opinions for or against Dell's 386 line?
>Also, does anyone have experience with the 310, 325, or 333, which
>might be useful to one, like me, getting his hands on such a machine?
>Thanks.

I'm typing to you now from a Dell 310.  I love it.  I got the optional
100MB IDE hard drive and I'm glad i paid the extra money.  Also I got the
Super VGA, which is silly NOT to get these days if you can afford a VGA.
Also I got 4MB RAM.

---
 David Barr - Penn State CAC Student Consultant, Student Programmer
 DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu     | dsbarr@endor.cs.psu.edu
 barr@barrstl.scol.pa.us  |...psuvax1!hogbbs!barrstl!barr

In article <41379@ut-emx.uucp> wilson@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Samuel M. Wilson) writes:
| does anyone have strong opinions for or against Dell's 386 line?
| Also, does anyone have experience with the 310, 325, or 333, which
| might be useful to one, like me, getting his hands on such a machine?

  We use Dell's at work in fairly large quantities, and have found the
Dell ISA systems to be very solid and reliable. The on-site service on
new machines is nice, and the vendor seems to stand behind them very
well.

  My sole complaint is that on systems which have the serial ports on
the motherboard, the autoconfig program tends to disable the 2nd serial
port is it is active at reboot. After that you must power cycle to get
it back.

  Newer versions have this in CMOS config, and towers have a reset
button, so I don't think there's a problem on newer machines. The only
time it bites me is installing a new kernel, if I forget to disable the
serial port before rebooting.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX