[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Floppy drives and differing formats

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (12/10/90)

Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
hardware?

On the same note, why hasn't a 5.25 inch drive been created for the IBM that
can read and write in both 360K and 1.2M formats correctly?

It seems to me as if a drive that can do these things would be in high demand.

John

sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) (12/10/90)

In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
>IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
>that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
>hardware?
>
>John

John,

The Superdrive that comes standard in all new Apple Macs can
read/write IBM and Macintosh files.  It's great for friends who have
Macs, since my IBM is hooked up to a laser printer :-)

Aviad

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (12/11/90)

[]
>In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
>IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
>that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
>hardware?

Someone has. They're called Apple computer. All the newer Macs have drives
that can read both formats (with appropriate software, which you can also
get from Apple)
--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
>IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
>that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
>hardware?

All of the new Mac machines, and the high-density drives they sell
separately, can read IBM formats.  And you can buy a cheap Init that
will even let all of the files show up on the desktop instead of using
the file converter utility.  I believe their is software for the Amiga
that will read both Mac and IBM disks.
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (12/13/90)

In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
%% Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
%% IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
%% that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
%% hardware?
%%
%% On the same note, why hasn't a 5.25 inch drive been created for the IBM that
%% can read and write in both 360K and 1.2M formats correctly?
%%
%% It seems to me as if a drive that can do these things would be in high demand.
%%
%% John

Many people already did respond to the first question pointing to
new Mac drives, but maybe the author wanted a PC side solution.

Central Point Software manufactures an Copy II PC Option Board, which
can read/create unusual formats on 5.25" diskettes, bypass copy
protection etc. There could be a 3.5" version. Check with CPC.

The problem with 360Ko vs 1.2 Mo drives is that tracks are narrower
on 1.2 Mo diskettes; so are the heads. 1.2 Mo drives write narrower
tracks on 360 Ko diskettes, and if you use them to erase information
previously written by ordinary drives, only the middle of the wide
360-only-drive track will be rewritten.  If you try to read such a
diskette on a 360-only drive, its wide head will get confused by the
non erased information.

You don't want a variable geometry head in each 1.2 drive, do you?
Or two heads on both sides of the drive? Plus additional hardware
to drive the stepper motor?

--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

ask@ulysses.att.com (Art S. Kagel[tfw]) (12/14/90)

In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
> Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
> IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
> that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
> hardware?

Note that the newer MacIntosh SuperDrive diskette drives can read IBM format 3 1/2"
diskettes and that the Copy II PC Option board, an internal card, can allow a PC
to read (and I think write) Mac floppies.

> On the same note, why hasn't a 5.25 inch drive been created for the IBM that
> can read and write in both 360K and 1.2M formats correctly?

I have a Toshiba 5 1/4" 1.2M floppy drive and for four years have successfully
read, written, and formatted 360K diskettes which were readable on every 360K
drive I have carried them to (except one badly aligned drive which sometimes
had trouble reading its own output.)  The secret is the alignment of the 1.2M
drive must be near perfect.  This Toshiba drive has held its alignment since
installation.

santeew@cs.uoregon.edu (John Wes Santee) (12/15/90)

In article <7167@chorus.fr> mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:
>In article <5350@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>%% Why hasn't anyone come up with a floppy disk that can read and write in both
>%% IBM and Macintosh (and Amiga, and ...) formats?  Is the hardware so different
>%% that no one even wants to attempt it, or is it a matter of proprietory
>%% hardware?
>%%
>%% On the same note, why hasn't a 5.25 inch drive been created for the IBM that
>%% can read and write in both 360K and 1.2M formats correctly?
>%%
>%% It seems to me as if a drive that can do these things would be in high demand.
>%%
>%% John
>
>Central Point Software manufactures an Copy II PC Option Board, which
>can read/create unusual formats on 5.25" diskettes, bypass copy
>protection etc. There could be a 3.5" version. Check with CPC.

The Option Board Deluxe will read and write many different formats including
PC, Atari, and Apple in both 5.25" and 3.5" formats.  It will also CONVERT
BETWEEN IBM and MAC formats (granted you have the 3.5" drive.  It won't convert
between MAC 3.5" --> 5.25" IBM (even if 5.25" = 1.2M)

[stuff deleted]

--
Wes Santee			| "It all seems so stupid,
santeew@asterix.cs.uoregon.edu	|   it makes me want to give up.

RHOPGOOD@vm.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Robert Hopgood) (12/18/90)

In article <7167@chorus.fr>, mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) writes:

>Central Point Software manufactures an Copy II PC Option Board, which
>can read/create unusual formats on 5.25" diskettes, bypass copy
>protection etc. There could be a 3.5" version. Check with CPC.

We have CPS' Copy II PC Option Board here.
It has the capablility to copy Mac and Apple disks.  It can also convert these
disks to the IBM format.  I believe this will work for text files only, though.

I copied my mother's Apple Works disks for her (she only has 1 drive and still
isn't that confident with the machine).  The only question is that the Option
Board gave a warning about the reliability of the copy as it couldn't verify
the CRC properly.

Other than that it seems like a very nice product.