[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] refilling HP deskjet cartridges

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (12/07/90)

I've been experimenting this afternoon with a few used HP Deskjet cartridges, a
hypodermic syringe and a bottle of ink.  They seem to print quite nicely when
refilled, except that the ink is rather inclined to smudge.

Has anyone been doing this for a while and have recommendations of what ink to
use?  Alternatively, has anyone found any other problems/drawbacks to recycling
Deskjet cartridges.

Mail me and I'll summarise to the net.

Peter Summers

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (12/08/90)

In article <1361@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) writes:

>I've been experimenting this afternoon with a few used HP Deskjet cartridges, a
>hypodermic syringe and a bottle of ink.  ...

A good 10cc hypo of ink thru the top hole works great.  A 30mm or so needle
makes it easy to reach all points in the cartridge's internal ink "sponge".
I think 15cc will "fit" in an empty cart.

The inks of choice for refillers are Scheaffer Skrip Jet Black and MontBlanc.
The Scheaffer ink is *much* cheaper than the other- I've use only it with
zero problems.

I read someplace about someone with access to an electron microscope
who noted that the ink "ports" in the cartridge seemed to "erode away"
(i.e., get larger) with each recycle generation.  No great loss, since
this is the replaceable part...

There appear to be no risks, and the results are great.

-scott

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (12/18/90)

This is my promised summary on refilling HP Deskjet cartridges.

It works well.

Lay the cartridge on its side and refill it very slowly using a hypodermic
syringe.  If it's filled too quickly, the ink will bubble out the top.  A
quick drying ink seems to be required to prevent smudging.

Hope this is useful.

Peter S.

Specific replies follow.

From:	IN%"krouse-p@cis.ohio-state.edu"  "Pierce Krouse"  8-DEC-1990 09:51:10.30

I've had very good, smudge-free results using Permanent Black Super-Quink
by Parker in my cartridges.  You might check to make sure the entire area
around the gold foil head is ink-free.  I always have to clean mine when
I re-ink.  Apparently this area is where the Deskjet printer funnels
unneeded ink, so the buildup is natural - you just have to clean it off.

From:	IN%"ARRITT@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu"  "R.W. Arritt, Univ. of Kansas" 17-DEC-1990 15:25:05.68

I'd be grateful to know what replies you have received.  What type of ink
are you using?  I've heard that Pelikan (spelling maybe wrong) ink is good.

From:	IN%"TEB106%PSUVM.PSU.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU"  "Tom billet" 16-DEC-1990 12:48:26.78

Pete, Please keep me informed of your results. I too have posted to the Net
 about refilling the cartridges.  I asked if any  one tried refilling the 3-col
or cartridges for the Paint jet.  So far, I haven't received a response.

From:	IN%"phr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU"  "Paul Rubin"  9-DEC-1990 12:03:29.54

Computer Shopper magazine (a huge thick US magazine that is mostly
ads) has a small ad on p. 536 of the Dec. 1990 issue for a Deskjet
re-inking system.  It costs $27.95 US, supposedly can do nine cartridges,
and several ink colors are available.  I have no idea how well their
system works.  Phone/FAX # is 708-966-2723, address is Grove Enterprises
Inc., 9242 N. Oketo Avenue, Morton Grove IL 60053.

From:	IN%"hbj@engr.uark.edu"  8-DEC-1990 10:01:18.28

I have had very good luck with Sheafer jet black Skrip Ink.