[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] CD-ROM under Win 3.0

lape@.cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) (12/08/90)

Dear Netlanders,

        I am in need of a device driver that works under Windows 3.0 correctly
and can use extended memory.  The piece of hardware in question is an Amdek
Laserdrive-1.  The device driver that comes with it works fine if I exit
Windows, but does strange things under Windows (like getting an invisible
cursor when looking at the directory under Programme Manager) to not working
at all.  The computer that this is running on is a Tandy 4000 with 4 megs
memory and VGA.  It is a 386 and Windows is running in 386 mode.  Using
something like DesqView is not an option (besides it never really ran under
DesqView do to memory requirements).  There is an AppleTalk card in the
computer as well and an 80-meg SCSI hard drive.

        Please e-mail all responses since I do not subscribe to all of the
newsgroups to which I am sending this request.

                Thanks in advance,
                  Bryon Lape

johnyg@microsoft.UUCP (John GEER) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec7.171717.29367@cs.utk.edu> lape@.cs.utk.edu (Bryon S. Lape) writes:
>        I am in need of a device driver that works under Windows 3.0 correctly
>and can use extended memory.  The piece of hardware in question is an Amdek
>Laserdrive-1.  The device driver that comes with it works fine if I exit
>Windows, but does strange things under Windows (like getting an invisible
>cursor when looking at the directory under Programme Manager) to not working
>at all.  The computer that this is running on is a Tandy 4000 with 4 megs
>memory and VGA.  It is a 386 and Windows is running in 386 mode.  Using

	Hmmm... this is very odd.  You should be using the HITACHIA.SYS
2.1 or 2.2 device driver (the Amdek is a HITACHI product) with MSCDEX
version 2.1 or 2.2.  Unless your version of the device driver is doing
DMA stuff, you should be working fine.  If you are using an early version
of MSCDEX, get a new one from your hardware manufacturer through their
product support.  MSCDEX v2.2 works great under Windows 3.0 enhanced.
Your Amdek should be running off of a HITACHI Bus card as well, no?  I've
even been able to load HITACHIA.SYS high, so unless your XMS is screwy
you are leaving out some information.  Oh, beware, you cannot load MSCDEX
high... this IS a limitation.  Also, don't be starting MSCDEX in your
windows initialization batch.  It should be started ONLY from boot-time
DOS.  If you have any trouble with this configuration, send me e-mail.

- John Y.