[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PCjr Monitor question?!

L70SI@CUNYVM (12/19/90)

Hi,
   A friend of mine uses a PCjr at home for wordprocessing, and recently
his monitor died leaving him without any display.
   My questions are:
1> What type of monitor does he need?  I know that the JR used an advanced
   version of CGA (advanced being a relative term), but will a plain vanilla
   CGA monitor work?  I have not seen this PCjr (or any other) in a long time
   so I dont even know what type of connector it has,  though I think it has a
   composite video out, but dont remember if this is how they used to connect
   the monitor.
2> If it is not a plain vanilla cga (TTL RGB) what type of monitor can he
   use?  Color is not essential, but is preferred.

Donald Barr
-------
* Donald Barr                         Internet: L70SI@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU *
*                                     Bitnet:   L70SI@CUNYVM          *
*                                     HAM:      KA2YDX                *

petros@mad.cis.ohio-state.edu (barry j petros) (12/19/90)

In article <90353.020831L70SI@CUNYVM.BITNET> L70SI@CUNYVM writes:
>Hi,
>   A friend of mine uses a PCjr at home for wordprocessing, and recently
>his monitor died leaving him without any display.
>   My questions are:
>1> What type of monitor does he need?  I know that the JR used an advanced
>   version of CGA (advanced being a relative term), but will a plain vanilla
>   CGA monitor work?

This is the second time this question has come up recently so I'll try and
give an answer. :) .... I had a jr a long time ago and the original jr monitor
was DOA ... having some problems obtaining another monitor some sales
droid gave me an IBM CGA color monitor and some funky little cable. So the
answer to you question is yes you may use a CGA monitor with jr but you'll
have to find one of these adaptor cables or the specs to build one.

The other question was can a jr monitor be hooked to a CGA card. I'd imagine
that this could be done as the cables was probably just changing the connector
and pinout and nothing else.

Now all we need is someone who knows how the jrs video connector is pinned.

barry

jjhoxsey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Skyfire) (12/20/90)

In article <90353.020831L70SI@CUNYVM.BITNET> L70SI@CUNYVM writes:
>Hi,
>   A friend of mine uses a PCjr at home for wordprocessing, and recently
>his monitor died leaving him without any display.
>   My questions are:
>1> What type of monitor does he need?  I know that the JR used an advanced
>   version of CGA (advanced being a relative term), but will a plain vanilla
>   CGA monitor work?  I have not seen this PCjr (or any other) in a long time
>   so I dont even know what type of connector it has,  though I think it has a
>   composite video out, but dont remember if this is how they used to connect
>   the monitor.
>2> If it is not a plain vanilla cga (TTL RGB) what type of monitor can he
>   use?  Color is not essential, but is preferred.

The jr uses a color composite output.  There are still a few places
that sell reconditioned jr monitors (as well as reconditioned and new
jr's), so you could try one of those places, too.  I recently received
a pamphlet from a place called Computer Reset somewhere in Texas.
They were advertising quite a bit about jr hardware.  If I can find
the thing, I'll mail you about it.

"It's a tradition at the Letterman house | jjhoxsey@vela.acs.oakland.edu
to have the annual swan dinner...and you | jjhoxsey@oakland  (Bitnet)
know, it's so much fun to watch the kids | uunet!umich!vela!jjhoxsey (UUCP)
fight over the neck..."                  |
			-David Letterman | Hardware Support @ Oakland Univ.

wally@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM (Wally Bowen) (12/20/90)

In article <86837@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> petros@mad.cis.ohio-state.edu (barry j petros) writes:
>In article <90353.020831L70SI@CUNYVM.BITNET> L70SI@CUNYVM writes:
>>Hi,
>>   A friend of mine uses a PCjr at home for wordprocessing, and recently
>>his monitor died leaving him without any display.
>>   My questions are:
>>1> What type of monitor does he need?  I know that the JR used an advanced
>>   version of CGA (advanced being a relative term), but will a plain vanilla
>>   CGA monitor work?
>
>This is the second time this question has come up recently so I'll try and
>give an answer. :) .... I had a jr a long time ago and the original jr monitor
>was DOA ... having some problems obtaining another monitor some sales
>droid gave me an IBM CGA color monitor and some funky little cable. So the
>answer to you question is yes you may use a CGA monitor with jr but you'll
>have to find one of these adaptor cables or the specs to build one.
>
>The other question was can a jr monitor be hooked to a CGA card. I'd imagine
>that this could be done as the cables was probably just changing the connector
>and pinout and nothing else.
>
>Now all we need is someone who knows how the jrs video connector is pinned.
>

>barry

For all the PCjr owners out there, here are a few companies that provide
PCjr components and adapter cables, etc.

PC Enterprises, PO Box 292, Belmar, New Jersey 07719 1-800-922-PCJR

Paul Rau Consulting, PO Box 682, Dept. P, Galt, CA 95632 1-209-745-9284

Legacy Technologies, Ltd., 4804 Superior St., Lincoln, NE 68504 1-402-466-8108

Computer Reset 1-214-276-8072

I have not dealt with any of these companies except to request catalogs or
ask questions so I cannot recommend any of them.  They do sell adapter cables
that allow you to use a PCjr with an RGB monitor ($14.95 from PC Enterprises)
or a cable that allows the PCjr monitor to be used with a CGA card ($24.95
from PC Enterprises).  If anyone deals with any of these companies, I'd
like to hear about your experiences so that I can keep informed.  I have a
PCjr and it too might need repairs or parts some day.

                                  Happy Holidays to All,
                                  Wally

Needless to say, my thoughts are my own and don't reflect those of UNISYS.