[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 8-bit xfer to 16-bit memory

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/15/90)

I was looking at Ed Solari's AT Bus Handbook and it seems to
indicate that a bus master which does an 8-bit transfer to
a 16-bit memory must use the slow 8-bit transfer timing
instead of the faster 16-bit timing. Is this true? Why?
What would happen if you used the fast 16-bit timing instead
of the slow 8-bit timing?

Anyone have a phone number for Mr. Solari?

--

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.195053.5270@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I was looking at Ed Solari's AT Bus Handbook and it seems to
>indicate that a bus master which does an 8-bit transfer to
>a 16-bit memory must use the slow 8-bit transfer timing
>instead of the faster 16-bit timing. Is this true? Why?
>What would happen if you used the fast 16-bit timing instead
>of the slow 8-bit timing?
>
>Anyone have a phone number for Mr. Solari?
>
>--

It dates back to the 8-bit PC and PC/XT days. The 8088 ran slower I/O cycles,
so all 8 bit devices (which dont yank on IOCS16) are given the same amount of
time as the 8088 gave them without having to yank on -IOCHRDY. Although most
8-bit devices *should* work with a shorter cycle time, you cannot
*guarantee* it.

There is no mistake in the Solari book. The same info is stated in the AT
Technical Reference Manual, but without any explanation.

If you think THIS is silly, I guarantee you would have a coronary if you knew
half of the monkey business regarding the keyboard controller. Sorry about
the flame, but the PC 'architecture' makes my skin crawl.

----- Boycott redwood products ---------------------------- Recycle -----
"Thou shalt abide by The GNU Manifesto"                          #####
{uunet!tektronix!gold!grege}     Register to vote, then        ##  |  ##
grege@gold.gvg.tek.com           vote responsibly             #    |    #
							      #   /|\   #
Support high oil prices, waste tax $$ on war, evade domestic   #/  |  \#
problems, and die young on foreign soil- Just say YES to Bush   #######

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/18/90)

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) writes:

>It dates back to the 8-bit PC and PC/XT days. The 8088 ran slower I/O cycles,
>so all 8 bit devices (which dont yank on IOCS16) are given the same amount of
>time as the 8088 gave them without having to yank on -IOCHRDY. Although most
>8-bit devices *should* work with a shorter cycle time, you cannot
>*guarantee* it.

Right, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about an
8-bit access to a 16-bit memory which does yank on MEMCS16*.
Solari indicates it should run at 8-bit speeds even though we
know it's a 16-bit device.

Why?

In article <1990Dec17.171123.18719@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

| Right, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about an
| 8-bit access to a 16-bit memory which does yank on MEMCS16*.
| Solari indicates it should run at 8-bit speeds even though we
| know it's a 16-bit device.
|
| Why?

  I think the CPU and memory have to both agree it's 16 bit before they
do it. Otherwise it uses the bandwidth and wait states for 8 bit access.
That may happen when you do a single byte write to memory, I'm not sure.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX