[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SCSI IDE hard drive

liu@fornax.UUCP (Lixin Liu) (12/11/90)

Hi, could someone tell me what a SCSI IDE drive is?  I saw some ads of
local computer stores, they sell some brand of hard drive which is SCSI IDE.
I don't understand what exactly this type of drive does. The saleman could
not clearly explain this. I know this is a SCSI type of drive, but I want
to know what IDE means here. Please reply by e-mail. Thank you.

Lixin
liu@cs.sfu.ca

    mail:  Lixin Liu,   Department of Mathematics and Statistics,
           Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., CANADA  V5A 1S6
  e-mail:  liu@cs.sfu.ca   OR   Lixin_Liu@sfu.bitnet
   phone:  (604) 291-3805  (office),  (604) 931-6512  (home)

In article <1776@fornax.UUCP> liu@fornax.UUCP (Lixin Liu) writes:

| Hi, could someone tell me what a SCSI IDE drive is?  I saw some ads of
| local computer stores, they sell some brand of hard drive which is SCSI IDE.
| I don't understand what exactly this type of drive does. The saleman could
| not clearly explain this.

  I would assume at first hand that your salesman is confused. Disks can
come in MFM, RLL, ESDI, SCSI, or IDE interface to the computer, but each
is diferent and requires a diferent controller.

  If he can't explain that, I suspect he can't understand it, and would
look elsewhere. He may mean a SCSI interface 3-1/2" disk, he may mean
SCSI on the drive between the drive and integrated controller, or he
may have picked some good buzzwords, like "standard metric
hexadecimal."

  When someone says something which sounds very unlike what the rest of
the world says, and can't explain it, I assume he's incompetent.

  Unless he's a salescritter, then I assume he's lying.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/19/90)

In article <2596@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1776@fornax.UUCP> liu@fornax.UUCP (Lixin Liu) writes:
>|
>| Hi, could someone tell me what a SCSI IDE drive is?  I saw some ads of
>| local computer stores, they sell some brand of hard drive which is SCSI IDE.
>| I don't understand what exactly this type of drive does. The saleman could
>| not clearly explain this.
>
>  I would assume at first hand that your salesman is confused. Disks can
>come in MFM, RLL, ESDI, SCSI, or IDE interface to the computer, but each
>is diferent and requires a diferent controller.
>
>  If he can't explain that, I suspect he can't understand it, and would
>look elsewhere. He may mean a SCSI interface 3-1/2" disk, he may mean
>SCSI on the drive between the drive and integrated controller, or he
>may have picked some good buzzwords, like "standard metric
>hexadecimal."
>
>  When someone says something which sounds very unlike what the rest of
>the world says, and can't explain it, I assume he's incompetent.
>
>  Unless he's a salescritter, then I assume he's lying.

Actually MFM and RLL are recording technologies, not interface standards. What
the basic IBM AT interface uses is ST-506.

ESDI, SCSI, and IDE are interface standards, they typically use either MFM or
RLL as the recodring technology on the disk itself. IDE is just a derivative
of ST-506, with the controller built into the drive.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

In article <1990Dec18.221736.2173@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

| Actually MFM and RLL are recording technologies, not interface standards. What
| the basic IBM AT interface uses is ST-506.

  And if you want to be that pickey MFM is actually a low grade version
of RLL (1,3 if my memory serves).

| ESDI, SCSI, and IDE are interface standards, they typically use either MFM or
| RLL as the recodring technology on the disk itself. IDE is just a derivative
| of ST-506, with the controller built into the drive.

  The point I was making is that if the salesman didn't understand what
he was saying well enough to clarify the point I wouldn't believe him.
There can be such a thing as SCSI IDE (per earlier post) if you talk
about the drive to controller and controller to adaptor interface
separately, but I would want to be very sure what I was getting.

  It's like ads for "AT drives." Some mean IDE and some mean for use in
an AT (MFM), and I don't want to buy one to find out.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX