[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Meaning of dot pitch in rating monitors

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (12/11/90)

I am currently upgrading my 386 from herc mono to vga. Since the
future seems to be with svga I am getting a board that can do the
svga mode also (Paradise with 512K).

Ok, so now comes the monitor. On my budget I cannot get multisynch,
but have found several monitors that handle svga. They differ in
whether I have heard of the brand name, but also in dot pitch.

So the question is - can my eye tell the difference between .28 and
.31 dot pitch (or .25). Is the difference visible in vga mode (since
most of my software only has drivers for vga and I don't use
windows, I care most about what I see in vga mode)?

Are people out there with .31 dot pitch sorry they have such
resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
beck@ucsd.edu
Dislaimer: The Regents pay me (a bit!) to distribute my opinions.

sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) (12/12/90)

In article <4194@network.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:
>So the question is - can my eye tell the difference between .28 and
>.31 dot pitch (or .25). Is the difference visible in vga mode (since
>most of my software only has drivers for vga and I don't use
>windows, I care most about what I see in vga mode)?

>Neal Beck
>Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
>beck@ucsd.edu
>Dislaimer: The Regents pay me (a bit!) to distribute my opinions.

I used to use an IBM 8513 (which I believe is .31 dp, correct me if
I'm wrong.) and now use a .28dp monitor.  The difference is noticeable.
Images have noticeably sharper edges.  In looking for a monitor I'd
definitely recommend looking for .28 or .25 dp.

I must admit that the 8513 had fuzziness problem notoriety, but even
in comparison to brand new 8513s at work, my monitor is much sharper.

Aviad

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (12/13/90)

In article <4194@network.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:
>>So the question is - can my eye tell the difference between .28 and
>>.31 dot pitch (or .25). Is the difference visible in vga mode (since
>>most of my software only has drivers for vga and I don't use
>>windows, I care most about what I see in vga mode)?

Dot pitch is the distance (in mm) between two dots of the same color.
The greater the dot pitch, the more granular your display will be.
Also, depending on the size of the CRT, dot pitch can also limit the
maximum displayable resolution.

Take, for example, a typical 14" display (the NEC MultiSync IIa).  The
active screen size is 240mm (9.36") horizontal and 180mm (7.02")
vertical.  If the dot pitch for this typical monitor is 0.31mm (which
it is for the MultiSync IIa), the result is a maximum horizontal
resolution of 774 dots, and a vertical maximum of 580 dots.  Though
this doesn't meant you won't be able to display 800x600 resolution,
some information cannot be physically descerned due to lack of unique
pixels.  However, if the dot pitch were 0.28mm, the resulting 857x642
pixel resolution would be fine.  Similarly, if the active image area
were larger (such as on the MultiSync 4D), a 0.31mm dot pitch would
still be adequate.

As for whether your eye will be able to notice the difference between
0.31 and 0.28mm dot pitch, that's difficult to say.  Many factors
other than dot pitch affect monitor clarity and sharpness.  At 640x480
VGA resolution, there may not be enough of a difference for you to
notice.  That is, unless you use graphics applications that write
small letters on the screen, where the smaller dot pitch monitor will
likely be more readable.

>sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) writes:

>I used to use an IBM 8513 (which I believe is .31 dp, correct me if
>I'm wrong.) and now use a .28dp monitor.  The difference is noticeable.
>Images have noticeably sharper edges.  In looking for a monitor I'd
>definitely recommend looking for .28 or .25 dp.

Actually, the IBM 8513 is a 0.28mm dot pitch monitor.  The 8512 is a
wopping 0.41mm dot pitch unit.  The large size dot pitch on the 8512
results in very grainy looking images and very poor sharpness.

>I must admit that the 8513 had fuzziness problem notoriety, but even
>in comparison to brand new 8513s at work, my monitor is much sharper.

As mentioned above, many factors affect monitor sharpness and quality.
Having once been on the manufacturer's side of the monitor market, the
best advice I can offer is to ACTUALLY SEE AND WORK WITH THE MONITOR
before making up your mind.  Go to a local computer store and ask to
run some of your standard programs.  If possible, do a side-by-side
comparison of the models you are interested in.  It is impossible to
select the best monitor for your application and budget through
published specifications and reviews.  Though reviews will help steer
you away from the lemons, they cannot substitute for hands-on
evaluation.

P.S., I am not now, nor have I ever been affiliated with either IBM or
NEC; except as a customer.  I used their products for examples only
because I had their specifications available and are experienced as a
user of their displays.

In article <4194@network.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:

| So the question is - can my eye tell the difference between .28 and
| .31 dot pitch (or .25). Is the difference visible in vga mode (since
| most of my software only has drivers for vga and I don't use
| windows, I care most about what I see in vga mode)?

  The answer is "maybe." The important thing is the number of dots and
the viewing distance. On the same size screen a coarse dot pitch may
look less sharp. However, consider the NEC 3D and 4D. The 3D has finer
dor pitch, but also a smaller screen. Therefore the number of dots is
about the same, and at the same number of pixels, viewed from an
appropriate distance, they look about the same.

  All things being equal I would rather have fine pitch, but it does not
always mean that you will get a fuzzy picture. If you string 1024 pixels
along eight inches, you have ~5 pixels/mm, or 0.20 "pixel pitch." If you
think you lose resolution on both .31 and .28 dot pitch you are dead
right. Until you go to something like a 5D, which is 20 inches, or a bit
over 12 wide, you are going to lose at the high res display modes.

  Remember that sharp looking workstation display, like a Sun, is 72
dpi, or about .35mm dot pitch.

  I didn't give you an answer, but hopefully you can come up with your
own now.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (12/15/90)

sheinfel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) writes:

>In article <4194@network.ucsd.edu> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:
>>So the question is - can my eye tell the difference between .28 and
>>.31 dot pitch (or .25). Is the difference visible in vga mode (since
>>most of my software only has drivers for vga and I don't use
>>windows, I care most about what I see in vga mode)?

>I used to use an IBM 8513 (which I believe is .31 dp, correct me if
>I'm wrong.) and now use a .28dp monitor.  The difference is noticeable.
>Images have noticeably sharper edges.  In looking for a monitor I'd
>definitely recommend looking for .28 or .25 dp.

>I must admit that the 8513 had fuzziness problem notoriety, but even
>in comparison to brand new 8513s at work, my monitor is much sharper.

>Aviad

I've never used a .28 dp monitor.  All mine are .31 dp.  I was working
on someones 8513 yesterday, and could not believe someone would put up
with such a pathetic picture.  It was really fuzzy.  What I'm saying is
there's more than dot pitch to having a good picture.  Check them out
before you buy.  Don't just buy on specs.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (12/21/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  Remember that sharp looking workstation display, like a Sun, is 72
>dpi, or about .35mm dot pitch.

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like the Sun Monitors. Because
of eye problems I had to find a monitor that had better than 72 dpi so
I needed one that went up to at least 90 dpi.  I finally found one that
has 1600 pixels and is 16 inches wide giving me 100 dpi.  Of course,
since I can't drive it at 1600 resolution I get only about 90 dpi.  At
90 dpi, things start to look reasonable and almost WYSIWYG
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc