[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Problem with Logitech Series 9 Serial Mouse

betsey@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Elizabeth Fike) (12/17/90)

I own an ALR FlexCache 20386DT with one serial and one parallel
port.  I recently acquired a Logitech Series 9 serial mouse
(3-button) and have been having problems with it.  Namely, the
mouse driver does not always load when I try to load it, and I
have to fiddle around rebooting and eventually even re-installing
the mouse when I want to use it.  This is a time-consuming
process, and not one I enjoy repeating often.  Has anyone had
similar problem?  If not, do you know where I can turn for help?
(I don't have the money to make long-distance calls at daytime rates...)

Thanks in advance!

Betsey
Space is big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is.  I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec17.144930.99@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> betsey@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Elizabeth Fike) writes:
>I own an ALR FlexCache 20386DT with one serial and one parallel
>port.  I recently acquired a Logitech Series 9 serial mouse
>(3-button) and have been having problems with it.

I am using the Logitech Series 9 serial mouse with an ALR 20386DT.  Under
DOS, I have no problems!  I load the driver with the following command:

\mouse 2 bon 9600

There is a known problem when going from DOS to either OS/2 or Unix.  For
some reason the DOS driver leaves the serial chip in such a state that
Unix and OS/2 will not recognize the serial port at all.  Thus when I switch
from DOS to one of these others OS'es, I always power off my system.  I then
have no further problems.  There is no known problem going the other way.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323