[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA spec for PVGA1A chip set ...

ernest@DSG.Tandem.COM (Ernest Hua) (12/12/90)

Where does this chip set come from?  How do I get specs for it?  Please send
replies to me (ernest@tandem.com) and I will post a summary if enough people are interested.

Thanks!
--
Ernest Hua  [ ernest@tandem.com ]
Tandem Computers

tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) (12/13/90)

>Where does this chip set come from?  How do I get specs for it?  Please send
>replies to me (ernest@tandem.com) and I will post a summary if enough people are interested.

This is the Western Digital (Paradise) chip that is in the Paradise Plus
and Professional cards.  You can get the 'Programmer's Reference' from
Western Digital (800 number)
The main disadvantage of this chip is that the Paradise BIOS does not
support 800x600x256 (I don't know if this is a chip limitiation)

This is NOT the chip that is in the Paradise 1024 card, which is the
WD90C00.

I would like to know what is differnt about the 90C00 chip.  It has the
same resolutions, and when dumping all of the registers in variouus video
modes (including extended reg's 0xB-E) they are all exactly the same as
the PVGA1A.  But as I can't seem to set SVGA modes as I can on the PVGA1A
I suspect the 90C00 chip has an extra exteneded register somewhere.

tom

Tom Friedel  JDyx Enterprises (404) 320-7624 tpf@jdyx.UUCP
Unix BBS:  (404) 325-1719 <= 2400 ; (404) 321-5020 >= 2400
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

dth@cs.brown.edu (Dzung T. Hoang) (12/14/90)

I have an 8-bit VGA card with 256K ram and the PVGA1A chip set.  I don't
know whether it's a Paradise card, though I suspect that it is the basic
Paradise VGA card--not even a Plus card.  It does 640x480 fine in 16 colors,
but I can't get it to work with the Paradise 640x480 256-color driver for
Windows 3.  Is this due to the memory being limited to 256K?  Is there a way
I can add 256K more RAM to the card?

Dzung T. Hoang
dth@cs.brown.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/14/90)

In article <59345@brunix.UUCP> dth@cs.brown.edu (Dzung T. Hoang) writes:
|but I can't get it to work with the Paradise 640x480 256-color driver for
|Windows 3.  Is this due to the memory being limited to 256K?  Is there a way

Let's see, 640 times 480 is ?

Do they know how to multiply at Brown?
--

dag@atomica.fi (Dag Nygren) (12/20/90)

ernest@DSG.Tandem.COM (Ernest Hua) writes:

>Where does this chip set come from?  How do I get specs for it?  Please send
>replies to me (ernest@tandem.com) and I will post a summary if enough people are interested.

	Mee too

--
Dag Nygren					email: dag@atomica.fi
Oy Atomica Ab				or     santra!atomica!dag

ebmeyer@peun39.sni.de (Reinhard Ebmeyer) (12/21/90)

In <1990PMWed.12.5852@atomica.fi> dag@atomica.fi (Dag Nygren) writes:
>ernest@DSG.Tandem.COM (Ernest Hua) writes:

>>Where does this chip set come from?  How do I get specs for it?  Please send
>>replies to me (ernest@tandem.com) and I will post a summary if enough people are interested.
>	Mee too

The PVGA1A or PVGA1B are Paradise VGA-Chips.

Now Western Digital is "maintening" these Chips. Therefore, the PVGA1B is
called WD90C00. (PVGA1A --> 256KB, PVGA1B/WD90C00 --> 512KB)

--
 #  Reinhard Ebmeyer     # Development Workstations # (+49)-5251-284277 #
 #  c/o Siemens Nixdorf  Informationssysteme AG, WA T 263 # Fax: 284105 #