[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HD Configuration problem

kmcvay@onebdos.oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (12/22/90)

d'Box: Octek 286/12MHz, AMI BIOS
d'Card: OMPTI 552D (8-bit MFM)
d'BIOS: No drives installed
d'Drives:

            0: NEC 5126
            1: Seagate ST238

d'Cable: Untwisted when running D5126 as a standalone disk.

The system has been running with the single 5126, MFM-formatted,
but now we need to install the ST238 as disk 1, and I've run
into problems.

I installed a twisted cable first, and removed the terminal
resister, then booted the system. This results in a "NO ROM
BASIC / SYSTEM HALTED" error.

On a cold boot, prior to the NO ROM BIOS error, the BIOS shows
the 1701 error (as expected, since the Seagate isn't formatted
yet), but that's as far as it gets...

The NEC is switched for untwisted cable, and I believe it has to
be reset, since the cable has been changed - does anyone have the
switch settings for this old faithful disk? Should it be set as
drive 0 or 1 with twisted cable?

The Seagate uses jumpers, and I assume the NEC should be set to
DS0 and the Seagate to DS1?

UUCP: uunet!van-bc!oneb!kmcvay
InterNet: kmcvay@oneb.UUCP

---
 * Origin: ...one small component of the datumplane matrix... (89:81/1)
--
        Ken McVay,  via IMEx node 89:681/1 (onebdos.UUCP) Nanaimo, B.C.
        Internet: kmcvay@oneb.UUCP       UUCP: uunet!van-bc!oneb!kmcvay