[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Experiences with 100MB disks

lohia@nas.nasa.gov (Shri Lohia) (12/21/90)

Hi,

I am the market to buy a Hard Disk around 100MB preferably  with IDE
Interface. I would like to hear for you all the suggestions, experiences,
pitfalls. I am going to run UNIX  on 386/33 Cache , so I prefer it to be
very fast.

I would like to  know the reliability, ruggedness  before making a decision.

Thanks for your help
-Shri

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.184703.28077@nas.nasa.gov> lohia@sun226.nas.nasa.gov (Shri Lohia) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am the market to buy a Hard Disk around 100MB preferably  with IDE
>Interface. I would like to hear for you all the suggestions, experiences,
>pitfalls. I am going to run UNIX  on 386/33 Cache , so I prefer it to be
>very fast.
>
>I would like to  know the reliability, ruggedness  before making a decision.

If your going to run UNIX you also want it bigger. I would seriously
consider going up to 200M. This way you'll be able to set up a DOS
partition in your disk and still have confortable space left in the
UNIX side.  I did set up a system recently with a Maxtor LX210 IDE
running ISC UNIX.  This is a very fast drive for its class, its transfer
rate under CORETS was 970KB/sec which is comparable to some ESDI
combos.  For a little lower cost (I've seen it advertized for $777)
there is the Conner CP3204 - I don't have first-hand experience with
this one, but heard good reviews from people running several flavors of
UNIX/386.

In article <1990Dec20.184703.28077@nas.nasa.gov> lohia@sun226.nas.nasa.gov (Shri Lohia) writes:

| I am the market to buy a Hard Disk around 100MB preferably  with IDE
| Interface. I would like to hear for you all the suggestions, experiences,
| pitfalls. I am going to run UNIX  on 386/33 Cache , so I prefer it to be
| very fast.

  Connor, Seagate, and Maxtor all seem to be shipping IDE drives in that
range, all about 16ms seek, all over 100k hours MTBF. Among those brands
you can probably shop by price.

  For what it's worth, I think you're using a disk which is way too
small, and note that a disk with with more heads will be effectively
faster, since it does a seek less often. You probably want 150MB for
UNIX, plus any DOS if you run it.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX