[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Am I stuck with 640x480?

sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (sophist) (12/20/90)

Sometime early this year, thinking (wrongly) that I would never want
greater resolution and going for low price, I bought a Samtron SC - 43IV
standard VGA monitor.  I've had very good luck with this monitor.  It
looks very nice (using a Paradise Basic VGA).

Now I'm wondering if its possible to use this monitor with higher
resolution cards?  What's stopping me?  Will the monitor simply not
produce higher resolutions?  Could I damage the monitor?  Will it
flicker?  It is not (I don't think) a multisync.

Regards,

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Phillip A. McReynolds,                  sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com
Licensed Philosopher              org:  Phillip's Philosophy Shop, Inc.
(MPA Certified)                "Quality Philosophy Products Since 1990"
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) (12/22/90)

In article <kc0gu3w163w@brainiac.raidernet.com> sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (sophist) writes:
>Sometime early this year, thinking (wrongly) that I would never want
>greater resolution and going for low price, I bought a Samtron SC - 43IV
>standard VGA monitor.  I've had very good luck with this monitor.  It
>looks very nice (using a Paradise Basic VGA).
>
>Now I'm wondering if its possible to use this monitor with higher
>resolution cards?  What's stopping me?  Will the monitor simply not
>produce higher resolutions?  Could I damage the monitor?  Will it
>flicker?  It is not (I don't think) a multisync.

Well, the particular model you mention does not ring a bell, but since you
tell us that it is a "standard" VGA monitor, then yes, you are limited to
using it with non-super VGA cards.

You need a multisync monitor to go to 800X600 or 1024X768.  What happens
is that the video card sends out a signal that tells the monitor to slow its
scan rate so that it can display more pixels.  Standard VGA monitors wont
know how to interpret this and will just try to go ahead and display the
picture anyway.  It will result in you seeing a lot of garbage on your
screen.

Scott
--
                      Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu
                         UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!wilken

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (12/23/90)

In article <kc0gu3w163w@brainiac.raidernet.com> sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (sophist) writes:
$Now I'm wondering if its possible to use this monitor with higher
$resolution cards?  What's stopping me?  Will the monitor simply not
$produce higher resolutions?  Could I damage the monitor?  Will it
$flicker?  It is not (I don't think) a multisync.

   It is not a multisync, and it will not work at above 640x480.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/24/90)

In article <kc0gu3w163w@brainiac.raidernet.com> sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (sophist) writes:
|Now I'm wondering if its possible to use this monitor with higher
|resolution cards?  What's stopping me?  Will the monitor simply not
|produce higher resolutions?  Could I damage the monitor?  Will it
|flicker?  It is not (I don't think) a multisync.

Let me give you a few facts (ignore what others have said, at least
one of them is 180 degrees off course) and why don't you see if you
can extrapolate from them.

(the following is simplified for tutorial purposes. EGA/CGA emulation
modes and 8514 interlaced type displays are not considered here)

Computer displays work by displaying one dot at a time, very fast.
They scan from left to right to make a line. Then they move down
and paint another line. The number of dots per line is 640 in
640x480 mode and the number of lines is 480.

A complete set of lines makes up a frame. A frame is usually displayed
60 times a second. You can't play with this too much in the slow
direction or it flickers. Making it faster reduces flicker but
there is a point of diminishing returns.

Assume a fixed 60 Hz frame refresh. How are you going to put up
more dots? What happens to the amount of time you get to display
each line?

--
Whatever happened to Global Warming? Could we have some Local Warming?