[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Piggy Back Chips 64k

mebrenna@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Leonardo) (12/21/90)

Hello,

We have some ram chips that are piggy backed.  The top one is labeled
 M37S64A-15, by OKI, #58080.  How do I use these piggy back chips, or
are they possibly only for a certain machine or board.

Thanks

Michael E. Brennan                        | Office Automation, Software Support
mebrennan@argo.acs.oakland.edu (Internet) |   Phone 313-370-4560
mebrenna@vela.acs.oakland.edu             |   Campus Network Support
michael@oasis.oa.oakland.edu		  |    Computer & Systems Engineering
(a.k.a Leonardo on ARGO, VELA, IRC) 	  |     @Oakland University

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (12/23/90)

In article <4382@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mebrenna@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Leonardo) writes:
>We have some ram chips that are piggy backed.  The top one is labeled
> M37S64A-15, by OKI, #58080.  How do I use these piggy back chips, or
>are they possibly only for a certain machine or board.

These sound awfully like the "128K" RAM chips used in the IBM AT
512K motherboard. Don't know how those chips were marked.

--
l\  /l '     _    Mike Schuster          ...!cmcl2!panix!schuster
l \/ l l l/ (_    NY Public Access       CIS:70346,1745

pwork@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Paul R. Work) (12/24/90)

In article <1990Dec23.014936.8617@panix.uucp> schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:
>In article <4382@vela.acs.oakland.edu> mebrenna@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Leonardo) writes:
>>We have some ram chips that are piggy backed.  The top one is labeled
>> M37S64A-15, by OKI, #58080.  How do I use these piggy back chips, or
>>are they possibly only for a certain machine or board.
>
>These sound awfully like the "128K" RAM chips used in the IBM AT
>512K motherboard. Don't know how those chips were marked.

Yes, that's right.  They are 150 nsec 128K DRam chips that were used in the
IBM AT class machines (the ATs used 36 of them to give 512K RAM).  I just
checked my true blue IBM AT, and that's exactly the chip that was used.

Profanity is a feeble attampt to express oneself forcibly.

Paul R Work  aka  "The Studebaker Kid"      pwork@blackbird.afit.af.mil

The Air Force takes no responsibility or liability for my personal opinions
I don't take some of them seriously myself!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (12/25/90)

pwork@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Paul R. Work) <1827@blackbird.afit.af.mil> :
| Yes, that's right.  They are 150 nsec 128K DRam chips that were used in the
| IBM AT class machines (the ATs used 36 of them to give 512K RAM).  I just
| checked my true blue IBM AT, and that's exactly the chip that was used.
|
| Profanity is a feeble attampt to express oneself forcibly.

Is this a subtle comment on true blue IBM AT's ?  :-)