[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] I need help finding the right hard drive

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (12/28/90)

	I have very specific requirements for the hard drive, and I do not
know if one exists that meets all my requirement. If one exists, who is its
manufacturer, and what is the models name?  The requirements are:

		-must have less than 1024 cylinders
		-should be about 150 megabytes in size
		-should be quicker than 16ms
		-can be MFM, RLL or ERLL
		-no ESDI, IDE or SCSI
		-should be half height {5.25 or 3.5}

Does such an animal exist?  Am I missing something?  How much would it cost?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Paul Magid

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (12/28/90)

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>	I have very specific requirements for the hard drive, and I do not
>know if one exists that meets all my requirement. If one exists, who is its
>manufacturer, and what is the models name?  The requirements are:

>		-must have less than 1024 cylinders
>		-should be about 150 megabytes in size
>		-should be quicker than 16ms
>		-can be MFM, RLL or ERLL
>		-no ESDI, IDE or SCSI
>		-should be half height {5.25 or 3.5}

There is one feature too much, what you are waiting for from the HD.
Height. There is Priam 519, which is very near, what you are looking
for. It is 1224 cyls (who care, if couple of hudrers are without use)
with 15 heads, so it's ... about 130MB. The biggest one, what normal
fdisk/BIOS'es supports for the ST-506 HD's. 22ms average access time,
and you can use MFM or RLL. This RLL (I'm not sure) is not officially,
but it is working very well, so then you would get more thean 150MB.

>Does such an animal exist?  Am I missing something?  How much would it cost?
>Thank you in advance for any help.

No, but FULL-height exist. But if you will have Priam 519, be carefully
with the heat, because cylinders 13-15 will get real hot, and if the
temperature will rise to high, it will be dead (no, those HEADS will).

>Paul Magid

Hyv{{ uutta vuotta (Happy New Year).

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.