[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ROLAND LAPC Sound Card

immi@trigon.rhoen.sub.org (Immanuel Bloch) (12/31/90)

Hi,
I am thinking about buying the ROLAND LAPC Synthesizer Sound Card for
the IBM-PC. Does anyone of you own one ? How is it ? Would you recommend
it ? With what kind of Software can you use it ? Does it have a normal
MIDI Interface, so that other Synthesizer may be connected to it ?

Thanx in advance for your help
  Immanuel

--
Immanuel Bloch    | UUCP: immi@trigon.rhoen.sub.org | The only problem with
6490 Schluechtern | Tel.: (+49)-6661-3377           | doing nothing is that

a516@mindlink.UUCP (Jordan Melville) (01/01/91)

> immi@trigon.rhoen.sub.org writes:
> Hi,
> I am thinking about buying the ROLAND LAPC Synthesizer Sound Card for
> the IBM-PC. Does anyone of you own one ? How is it ? Would you recommend
> it ? With what kind of Software can you use it ? Does it have a normal
> MIDI Interface, so that other Synthesizer may be connected to it ?

I have had one for about one year now, and it has been a dream to own. It is
simple to install and set up (just drop it into an 8 bit full length slot - my
only complain is that the timer crystal is too close to the end of the card and
makes it a bit awkward to install on some machines, but nothing too major). The
best program I've come accross for it is called Ballade (now at version 2)..
You can probably find the demo version for it on Compuserve in the Midi forum.

Installing MIDI devices is possible through the use of an external box which
hooks up to the back of the card. It gives you one midi out, and two midi ins.
It also can control a multi-track tape deck for recording your music.

All in all, it's a great card. I highly recommend it.

Jordan.

(I do not work for Roland, and am only speaking of their products from my
personal experience)
-------
Jordan C. Melville         Voice: (604) 943-7155
Vancouver, BC                BBS: (604) 943-3503 (2400baud)
UUCP: a516@mindlink.UUCP
"So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee, 'cause the roles bein'
offered don't strike me, as nothing the black man can use to learn,
BURN HOLLYWOOD, BURN" - Public Enemy "Burn Hollywood Burn"