[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] A rational keyboard for an XT clone?

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (12/28/90)

I'm looking for a keyboard for my XT clone which has
	* a separate numeric keypad
	* separate cursor keys
	* the CONTROL key to the left of the "A" key as God intended
	* the ESCAPE key to the left of the "1" key as God intended

Is there such a thing?

I'm currently using an 84-key keyboard (with ESC and `/~ swapped in
software), but I'd have a much easier time running Quicken if I had a
separate numeric keypad.

So far the closest I've found to my ideal is a Keytronic [?] 101-key
model for $85.  It lets you swap the CAPS LOCK and CONTROL keys so that
at least CONTROL ends up in the right place.  ESC is close to being in
the right place, but it's a little to far to hit without looking.
(Anyway, $85 seems a little steep for a keyboard.  I was hoping to find
something more in the $40 range.)

Mild flame on:
	Why on earth to all the 101-key keyboards have CAPS LOCK
	where CONTROL is supposed to be?  I use CONTROL 1,000 times
	a day and CAPS LOCK never.  Do other people use CAPS LOCK
	so much that it deserves a place on the keyboard's home row?
Mild flame off.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) (12/28/90)

In article <6056@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>Mild flame on:
>	Why on earth to all the 101-key keyboards have CAPS LOCK
>	where CONTROL is supposed to be?  I use CONTROL 1,000 times
>	a day and CAPS LOCK never.  Do other people use CAPS LOCK
>	so much that it deserves a place on the keyboard's home row?
>Mild flame off.

Hmmmmm....I never thought about it. I do occasionally hit CAPS LOCK by
mistake and then have to spend a couple of seconds figuring out
what is exactly going on.

Then again I find it easy to hold crtl down with my pinky and hit the
key I want by angling or extending my hand.
--
Dave Morash
morash@ug.cs.dal.ca

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Crash Gordon) (12/29/90)

>I'm looking for a keyboard for my XT clone which has
>	* a separate numeric keypad
>	* separate cursor keys
>	* the CONTROL key to the left of the "A" key as God intended
>	* the ESCAPE key to the left of the "1" key as God intended

The keyboard I'm typing on now has all these features.  It is the OmniKey
Plus from Northgate.  Their phone number is 1 (800) 526-2446; I paid $126
total for this beast in March.  Worth every penny, IMHO.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec28.025742.6570@cs.dal.ca> morash@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dave Morash) writes:
>In article <6056@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>>Mild flame on:
>>	Why on earth to all the 101-key keyboards have CAPS LOCK
>>	where CONTROL is supposed to be?  I use CONTROL 1,000 times
>>	a day and CAPS LOCK never.  Do other people use CAPS LOCK
>>	so much that it deserves a place on the keyboard's home row?
>>Mild flame off.
>
>Hmmmmm....I never thought about it. I do occasionally hit CAPS LOCK by
>mistake and then have to spend a couple of seconds figuring out
>what is exactly going on.
>
>Then again I find it easy to hold crtl down with my pinky and hit the
>key I want by angling or extending my hand.
>--

	In case some do not know of them, there are small utilities
to fix this problem. One that swaps the Ctrl and the Caps Lock keys is
available by anonymous ftp from SIMTEL [26.2.0.74]:

	PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD> SWAPKY11.ARC

That directory also contains a number of other utilities useful in tailoring
your keyboard to please yourself.

Bob Davis, UofALA alum \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX: (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

In article <6056@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
| I'm looking for a keyboard for my XT clone which has
| 	* a separate numeric keypad
| 	* separate cursor keys
| 	* the CONTROL key to the left of the "A" key as God intended
| 	* the ESCAPE key to the left of the "1" key as God intended

  Northgate 102, runs on XT or AT by a switch. Has the function keys
where God intended, too. I have three of these, luckily all the old
style. The only thing wrong with the new one is that there is only one
Alt key, and there is a * key next to the spacebar. That's fine for DOS
users who type *. a lot, but for UNIX I want the \ and ` one the right
hand, thanks. My old ones all have it there.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX