[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Need help on VGA monitor selection

alpha@vpnet.chi.il.us (Randy Sales) (12/29/90)

I would appreciate information on how important the difference is between a
noninterlaced vs. an interlaced monitor in the real world of use.  I have
been reading about the NEC 3D and Sony 1304.  The report liked them both but
thought the sony did not render a good picture of a boat going under a
bridge.  They said it looked dark and not as real as the NEC.  I do not want
to buy another monitor for awhile, so I would like to make a good choice the
first time.  Please email.  Thank you.

P.S. I also thought it would be a good idea to have the ability to do 1024 x
780.  I think I got that right (7??).

buck@granite.cr.bull.com (Kenneth J. Buck) (01/03/91)

In article <277c08c0-5f9comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware@vpnet.chi.il.us> alpha@vpnet.chi.il.us
   (Randy Sales) writes:
>I would appreciate information on how important the difference is between a
>noninterlaced vs. an interlaced monitor in the real world of use.  I have
>been reading about the NEC 3D and Sony 1304.  The report liked them both but
>thought the sony did not render a good picture of a boat going under a
>bridge.  They said it looked dark and not as real as the NEC.

I understand that there is a bug in the current version of the Sony 1304 which
prevents pictures of boats going under bridges from looking good.  My calls to
Sony support indicate that this will be fixed in the next shipments.  As for
the NEC 3D, it has no problem with boats under bridges, but I heard there was
a difficulty with planes flying over densely-populated areas, something to do
with FAA regulations, no doubt...   :-)