[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Request for ASPI4DOS.SYS for Adaptec's 1540 SCSI adapter

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (01/01/91)

I recently bought a SCSI adapter from Tandy. They named it "16 Bit SCSI
Host Adapter" and gave it the catalog number 25-4161B. The PCB has a text
on it, "AHA1542A", which proves that Tandy bought it from Adaptec and
resold it. After installing it in my 286 PC, its BIOS boots with the
message

	Adaptec AHA 1540 BIOS
	Version 4.05S
	Copyright 1988 Adaptec, Inc.

That makes me believe, that the adapter is the Adaptec 1540. I got one
3.5" diskette with the drivers scsiha.sys and scsitape.sys. I ordered
for a Quantum ProDrive LPS105S, which I'm still waiting for.

Now, I read in the December BYTE about a special SCSI protocol, with which
an application can send SCSI commands to connected targets on the SCSI bus.
Adaptec defined it and called it ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programming Interface).
There was mentioned a driver `ASPI4DOS.SYS', that could be used under
PC-DOS. Does anybody have this driver for the Tandy SCSI Host Adapter or the
Adaptec AHA1540? Or should I contact Adaptec (in the Netherlands or Germany)?
The Tandy store couldn't help any further, they only resold it. I want to be
able to communicate with SCSI devices, e.g. (re)format the hard disk. I'm
experienced with the SCSI bus, but not with the Adaptec controllers.

I would be much obliged, if somebody could send me the ASPI4DOS.SYS driver,
with information about SCSI Request Blocks, etc. Also, pointers to places
where I can get it or the phone number of Adaptec in the Netherlands or
Germany would be welcome. Please reply via e-mail, as I don't read this
newsgroup very often.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Center Aachen

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/03/91)

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 11:28:41 PST
From: MAILER-DAEMON@sj.ate.slb.com  (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Full-Name: Mail Delivery Subsystem
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: postmaster@sj.ate.slb.com
To: <poffen@sj.ate.slb.com>

550 .ica.philips.nl.smtp... 550 Host unknown
550 <adrie@.ica.philips.nl>... Host unknown

>I recently bought a SCSI adapter from Tandy. They named it "16 Bit SCSI
>Host Adapter" and gave it the catalog number 25-4161B. The PCB has a text
>on it, "AHA1542A", which proves that Tandy bought it from Adaptec and
>resold it. After installing it in my 286 PC, its BIOS boots with the
>message
>
>	Adaptec AHA 1540 BIOS
>	Version 4.05S
>	Copyright 1988 Adaptec, Inc.
>
>That makes me believe, that the adapter is the Adaptec 1540. I got one
>3.5" diskette with the drivers scsiha.sys and scsitape.sys. I ordered
>for a Quantum ProDrive LPS105S, which I'm still waiting for.
>
>Now, I read in the December BYTE about a special SCSI protocol, with which
>an application can send SCSI commands to connected targets on the SCSI bus.
>Adaptec defined it and called it ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programming Interface).
>There was mentioned a driver `ASPI4DOS.SYS', that could be used under
>PC-DOS. Does anybody have this driver for the Tandy SCSI Host Adapter or the
>Adaptec AHA1540? Or should I contact Adaptec (in the Netherlands or Germany)?
>The Tandy store couldn't help any further, they only resold it. I want to be
>able to communicate with SCSI devices, e.g. (re)format the hard disk. I'm
>experienced with the SCSI bus, but not with the Adaptec controllers.
>
>I would be much obliged, if somebody could send me the ASPI4DOS.SYS driver,
>with information about SCSI Request Blocks, etc. Also, pointers to places
>where I can get it or the phone number of Adaptec in the Netherlands or
>Germany would be welcome. Please reply via e-mail, as I don't read this
>newsgroup very often.

I tried to mail, but it bounced.

There is a set of unsupported utilities available via anonymous ftp from :
cica.cica.indiana.edu:pub/pc/misc/aha1542.zip.

Note that these are UNSUPPORTED by adaptec, and the write benchmark test
appears to destroy the FAT on an MSDOS formatted disk.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254