[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Soundblaster options?

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (12/31/90)

From article <1990Dec31.191743.10411@infonode.ingr.com>, by fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614):

> A few questions about Soundblaster options?
> 1.  Are the 2 C/MS 301 ICs which give C/MS and Game Blaster
>     music worth the money?

Depending on whether the rest of the game makers continues to jump on the
CMS boat or are they contend with just FM mono music (Adlib) and digitized
voice.

> 2.  What do they cost?

Currently CMS chips $20 plus $3 shipping from Creative Labs.

> 3.  Is the developers kit any good?

I was told by developer kit user that it has more than sufficient
info (some say too much), with thick manuals (3 lbs) and some disks.

> 4.  Anyone used it with Power MIX C or Turbo C?

Yes, it works with Turbo C.  Power MIX C?  Hurray!  Another Power C fan.  Now
you know how cheap I am.  I don't know if Power C will go or not, but Power C
does have a conversion for .OBJ to .MIX files (Power C link file).  I have
not try it yet.

> 5.  Are there royalties if used for commerical software?

I don't think so.  But check with Creative Labs to be sure.

> Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanky!

I was told by a reliable source Sound Blaster US population is nearing
100,000 and will double that next year.  Also, they are coming with the
micro-channel version in two months.  Hence, I can see making some
money if you are able to come out with a software that Sound Blaster owners
just couldn't keep their hands off!

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (01/01/91)

--

gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) (01/01/91)

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

>A few questions about Soundblaster options?
>1.  Are the 2 C/MS 301 ICs which give C/MS and Game Blaster
>    music worth the money?

I got a Sound Blaster + C/MS ICs for Christmas and so far, I think the C/MS
sounds much better than the Adlib FM sound.  Whenever I can use
Game Blaster compatablity in a program, I do so.  The Adlib sound is good and
is a fallback for software without Game Blaster support.

>2.  What do they cost?

Mine were a gift.

>3.  Is the developers kit any good?
>4.  Anyone used it with Power MIX C or Turbo C?
>5.  Are there royalties if used for commerical software?

I am interested in knowing these things too.  Anybody out there know?

Thanks from me too!
--
Gene Toye: Harris Adacom Corporation / 16001 Dallas Pkwy. / Dallas, TX 75248
Internet: gtoye@supernet.haus.com or gtoye@supernet.lonestar.org

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/02/91)

I'm not a Soundblaster owner, but I seem to remember seeing some ads
in Keyboard magazine advertising software supporting Soundblaster's
non-Roland midi configuration, Cakewalke Sequencer. It seemed like
more software for this configuration is on the way.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/04/91)

In article <...> fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:
<
<A few questions about Soundblaster options?
<1.  Are the 2 C/MS 301 ICs which give C/MS and Game Blaster
<    music worth the money?

No.  The sound quality with Sierra games is MUCH better in the Ad-Lib mode,
although you do get stereo in the GameBlaster mode.  Sounds like all organ
music though, not as crisp or realistic as the Adlib mode.

<2.  What do they cost?

Around US$30 or so, give or take a few bucks.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

In article <1991Jan1.030545.25774@supernet.haus.com> gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) writes:
<fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:
<
<
<>A few questions about Soundblaster options?
<>1.  Are the 2 C/MS 301 ICs which give C/MS and Game Blaster
<>    music worth the money?
<
<I got a Sound Blaster + C/MS ICs for Christmas and so far, I think the C/MS
<sounds much better than the Adlib FM sound.  Whenever I can use
<Game Blaster compatablity in a program, I do so.  The Adlib sound is good and
<is a fallback for software without Game Blaster support.

Wait a minute!!  Is something wrong with my card, perhaps?

Could somebody please comment specifically on the sound quality
of each mode with KingsQuest 4 or KingsQuest 5 (brand new!) ... ?
Or perhaps Loom ?

On my system, the C/MS modes all sound like organ music to me,
with no real instrument sounds as in the Adlib modes.  Maybe something
is defective..  What should these games sound like in GameBlaster mode?

--

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (01/04/91)

From article <5162@bwdls58.UUCP>, by mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord):
> In article <...> fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:
> <2.  What do they cost?
>
> Around US$30 or so, give or take a few bucks.

For the record, the CMS chipset is now $20, from Creative Labs.

dlow@pollux.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/05/91)

>Could somebody please comment specifically on the sound quality
>of each mode with KingsQuest 4 or KingsQuest 5 (brand new!) ... ?
>Or perhaps Loom ?

The CMS sound on the Sierra games are definitely not as good as the
Adlib sound. Sierra does exploit the stereo effect on the CMS
to good effect. Some people might confuse stereo with good sound. :-)
I have an old SB with both Adlib and CMS emulation and I did some
comparison with my Sierra games when I first got it.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) (01/05/91)

Hmmmmm....
I agree that the C/MS sounds more organ-like.  Perhaps it is the
stereo effect that has swayed my opinion.  I haven't tried a lot of
different games just yet.