[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sound Blaster MIDI box

bob@ultra.com (Bob Beach) (12/27/90)

I just bought a sound blaster card and discovered that I must now buy
a seprate box ($75) to connect up my MIDI keyboard. I looked at the
wiring of the joystick port included on the board and found MIDI
TxD and RxD lines. Does anyone know if I can just connect these lines
up to my MIDI keyboard (adding the appropriate connectors of course).
Asked another way, Is there anything in the MIDI box except for some
connectors?

Also, I am interested in doing some programming of the board itself.
Creative Labs sells a "development kit" for ~ $100. Are there public
domain definitions of how the board works and/or software?
Alternatively someplace where I can buy the dev kit for less than
$100. thanks

bob beach
ultra network technologies
bob@ultra.com

woan@nowhere (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) (12/28/90)

bob@ultra.com (Bob Beach) writes:
Bob> I just bought a sound blaster card and discovered that I must now
Bob> buy a seprate box ($75) to connect up my MIDI keyboard. I looked
Bob> at the wiring of the joystick port included on the board and
Bob> found MIDI TxD and RxD lines. Does anyone know if I can just
Bob> connect these lines up to my MIDI keyboard (adding the
Bob> appropriate connectors of course).  Asked another way, Is there
Bob> anything in the MIDI box except for some connectors?

There doesn't seem to be anything else... Anyway, for $99 at Babbages
nationwide, you can get the connector box with sequencer plus and 2
MIDI cables. Even discounting sequencer plus, it's only costing about
$40 for the connector box which I have been using as just a joystick
extension cable since I have a MusicQuest card anyway...

Bob> Also, I am interested in doing some programming of the board
Bob> itself.  Creative Labs sells a "development kit" for ~ $100. Are
Bob> there public domain definitions of how the board works and/or
Bob> software?  Alternatively someplace where I can buy the dev kit
Bob> for less than $100. thanks

I've seen the development kit slightly discounted by some mail order
firms, though the only one I remember offhand is Computer Express on
Prodigy...
+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (01/01/91)

I bought the SB card from Creative Labs, Inc. (the vendor) in San Jose, CA.
This costs $249 list, and you get the Development Kit and the C/MS chips
also if you ask.  This is probably comparable in price to getting the
pieces at street price, and I wanted to have some pull with the factory.

The SB has several functions: voice-quality sound digitization, ditto output,
at up to 13KHZ, AdLib compatibility ( 9 or 11 synthesized output channels,
which seems to do some MIDI standard?), C/MS compatibility (6 or 12 stereo
output channels; CLI's old sound card), a joystick port, and a MIDI
port (with a 64-byte input buffer!).  Voice output, AdLib sounds, and
C/MS sounds are mixed in analog at the back end of the output.
(It may be that the MIDI port follows some MIDI standard instead.
This is unfortunate, as the Roland MPU-401 card is what everybody clones.)

I was annoyed at what I got, because I wanted this sucker for part of
a multi-media project, and I badly want stereo sound effects.  With the
DK you get MicroSlime C libraries (binary) for controlling voice digitization
and its output, text-to-speech output, and AdLIb sound output.  You're
on your own for controlling the MIDI port, but it's explained.  However,
you get no info on programming the stereo C/MS ports, and I'm getting
nowhere with Creative Labs.

Is the C/MS stuff available anywhere?  I'll check out the UCSF archive
mentioned here.  The joystick, MIDI port, and voice digitizers are
useful for my project, and I will use them, but mono synthesized output
just doesn't make it.

Thanks,

Lance Norskog

gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) (01/01/91)

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) writes:

>Is the C/MS stuff available anywhere?  I'll check out the UCSF archive
>mentioned here.  The joystick, MIDI port, and voice digitizers are
>useful for my project, and I will use them, but mono synthesized output
>just doesn't make it.

I just got a SB for Christmas, including the C/MS chipset.  It was purchased
locally from a discounter (Soft Warehouse in Dallas).  The C/MS chip set
included a small manual titled "C/MS Programming Information".  It is 7
pages and describes the C/MS register set and how to address it via ports.
It includes a small assembly example.  Was this included in your copy?
If not, perhaps you can get it from Creative Labs.

Hope this helps.
--
Gene Toye: Harris Adacom Corporation / 16001 Dallas Pkwy. / Dallas, TX 75248
Internet: gtoye@supernet.haus.com or gtoye@supernet.lonestar.org

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (01/03/91)

In article <37427@cup.portal.com> thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) writes:
> With the
>DK you get MicroSlime C libraries (binary) for controlling voice digitization
>Lance Norskog

Binaries only?  That isn't very nice.
--

system@infopls.chi.il.us (SYSOP) (01/03/91)

gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) writes:

> I just got a SB for Christmas, including the C/MS chipset.  It was purchased
> locally from a discounter (Soft Warehouse in Dallas).  The C/MS chip set
> included a small manual titled "C/MS Programming Information".  It is 7
> pages and describes the C/MS register set and how to address it via ports.
> It includes a small assembly example.  Was this included in your copy?
> If not, perhaps you can get it from Creative Labs.

  I bought a SB from Soft Warehouse here in Illinois several months ago. It
does have the CMS chips on it, but there was no special programming info
for it. The only programming info I have on it tells how to use the
CMS-VOICE.DRV, which is for the digital channel.
  Does the manual have information on detecting the CMS chips? I can detect
the AdLib and digital portions, but would like to also detect the CMS
(which is the Game Blaster.) This is for my Infoplus program, BTW.

---------------
Andrew Rossmann               | Sysop of Infoplus BBS, +1 708 537 0247
 andyross@infopls.chi.il.us   | Infoplus Support, latest version available
 ..!uunet!ddsw1!infopls!system| by logging in as infoplus.

gtoye@supernet.haus.com (Gene Toye) (01/05/91)

system@infopls.chi.il.us (SYSOP) writes:

>  Does the manual have information on detecting the CMS chips? I can detect
>the AdLib and digital portions, but would like to also detect the CMS
>(which is the Game Blaster.) This is for my Infoplus program, BTW.

No, here is the contents:
1 Memory map - describes I/O addressing to write to CMS registers
2 Register Description - describes use of CMS registers
3 Frequency Table - gives table of frequency values that correspond to
musical notes
4 Programming Example - gives a small assembly language example that
initializes CMS, then generates a middle C on voice 1