[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] QEMM and SCSI host adaptors

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (12/14/90)

I've heard some vague mumblings to the effect that QEMM's
ability to extend the DOS task space above 640K won't work with
"some" SCSI host adapters, because these adapters insist on
using a small chunk at the top of the bottom 640Kb, thus making
a larger contiguous space impossible.

Anybody know 1. if this is true
    	     2. if it is true, which adapters are so afflicted?

Reply to me, and I'll summarize if there's any interest.

Thanks,

--richard

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (12/15/90)

In article <19074@yunexus.YorkU.CA> Richard Reiner writes:

>I've heard some vague mumblings to the effect that QEMM's
>ability to extend the DOS task space above 640K won't work with
>"some" SCSI host adapters, because these adapters insist on
>using a small chunk at the top of the bottom 640Kb, thus making
>a larger contiguous space impossible.

I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.

Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (12/16/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
<I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
<run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
<won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
<using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.
<
<Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

Two possible problems come to mind:

	1. Try setting a bigger DMA= parameter, as described in the QEMM docs.
	2. Perhaps your SCSI has some extra h/w that is mapped in to the
		upper address space.  The docs for it ought to mention it
		if this is the case.  You could then EXCLUDE= that space.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Charles David Boyer) (12/17/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
>I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
>run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
>won't load things into high memory.  The plus side is that it is faster than
>using HIMEM from Microsoft, although it not as reliable.
>
>Any help in this matter would also be appreciated by me.  Thanks!

The problem you describe with the spell checker crashing is caused by a
bug in WordPerfect. They have an interim release that solves that problem.
Look on the Help Screen in WP. My release date is 8/20/90. Although it is
not the latest, it does fix the speller lockup problem.

As far as the loadhi problem is concerned I havn't a clue, perhaps some of the
other netters can help.

Dave Boyer
boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (12/17/90)

In article <78448@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> Charles David Boyer writes:

>The problem you describe with the spell checker crashing is caused by a
>bug in WordPerfect. They have an interim release that solves that problem.
>Look on the Help Screen in WP. My release date is 8/20/90. Although it is
>not the latest, it does fix the speller lockup problem.

>As far as the loadhi problem is concerned I havn't a clue, perhaps some of the
>other netters can help.

With the help from another person on the net, I finally found out what the
problem was.  Since the FASST card is a bus master and doesn't like to go
through QEMM normally, I must tell it to by using the /W option.  This also
makes it act fine with Windows, QEMM, LOADHI, and WP Spell Checker.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

Happy Holidays!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

ms33@prism.gatech.EDU (Mike Sullivan, a.k.a. Sully) (12/24/90)

In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:

>I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
>run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
>won't load things into high memory....

Some of the people I work with have come to the conclusion that QEMM 5.1 does
not work with either WP 5.1 or Quattro Pro.  They run on 386's, without
any multitasking software (at least when tracing down problems.)  I don't
know if it works unreliably or if it just plain doesn't work.  But I will
say that it may be premature to blame your SCSI controller.

Mike Sullivan

One of many Michael P. Sullivans, my views are expressly my own, and are not
endorsed by my boss, fellow workers, or any other Mike Sullivan. :-)
Internet: ms33@prism.gatech.edu     |      Ga.Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (12/29/90)

ms33@prism.gatech.EDU (Mike Sullivan,  a.k.a. Sully) writes:
>In article <4679@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
>>
>>I have a WD-7000 FASST SCSI controller and I have a dickens of time trying to
>>run QEMM 5.1.  The program crashes WP 5.1 when attempting a spell check and
>>won't load things into high memory....
>>
>Some of the people I work with have come to the conclusion that QEMM 5.1 does
>not work with either WP 5.1 or Quattro Pro.  They run on 386's, without
>any multitasking software (at least when tracing down problems.)  I don't
>know if it works unreliably or if it just plain doesn't work.  But I will
>say that it may be premature to blame your SCSI controller.

Hey, I have a 386 (well, a 386SX/16) using the WD FASST-2 7000 SCSI controller
(with an HP scanjet plus and a sony non-scsi cd-rom drive to boot) using
QEMM 5.11 and Desqview 2.3, over novell netware network working swimming
with MS windows 3.0 running Wordscan Plus in one desqview window, WP 5.1
in a different window, lotus 1-2-3 v3 in a 3rd window (and I can probably
get Quattro Pro 1.x working as well, 8MB of memory helps a lot).  Even
running WP5.1 or Quattro Pro 1.x (I haven't got the new 2.0 release yet)
runs fine. (just for reference, I'm using MS-DOS 4.01 to take advantage of
this nice large Wrenrunner 315MB drive.)

If you ask me, it's probably a configuration problem, the first thing I'd
point to is the number of FILES that are allocated.  WP5.1 recommends a
FILES parameter in the config.sys (or autoexec.bat with QEMM) to be at
least 20, but I'd increase this number much higher, esp if you intend to
run several programs at once.  The SCSI controller could be at fault
though, since I had to upgrade my WD SCSI controller to the newest ROMs
and software drivers (current for me is v3.36), the older ROMs gave me
problems when I was trying to get MS Windows to run.  I'd start blaming
programs after that.  WP5.1 most recent interm release for the program
is 8/20/90, with printer drivers dated 11/09/90.  I haven't tried the
new Quattro Pro yet so I can't say anything about it, although I've
had no problems with the older version.

If you still have problem, email me and I'll try and help.

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!

paulg@bhpmrl.oz.au (Paul Gallagher) (01/04/91)

Ive been running QEMM 5.1 on my 386 for a couple of months now, using
win3, Quattro Pro etc etc with no problems at all. I havent tried WP5.1
but WP5 works OK. So I canUt really understand the complaints about
QEMM 5.1 + QPRO + WP5.1.

However, I have recently been trying to get a @#$% Adeptec SCSI adaptor
to work, with absolutely no success, and I didnt think to suspect QEMM.
Ill test the hypothesis ... and follow up this posting if ive anything
interesting to add.

     /\/\       Paul Gallagher, PC Support Officer,
    / / /\      Computer Systems Group,
   / / /  \     BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories
  / / / /\ \    245 Wellington Rd Mulgrave Vic 3170 AUSTRALIA
  \ \/ / / /    Phone : +61-3-560-7066,  Fax : +61-3-561-6709
   \  / / /     ACSnet  :  paulg@bhpmrl.OZ.AU
    \/\/\/

neese@adaptx1.UUCP (01/05/91)

>/* ---------- "Re: QEMM and SCSI host adaptors" ---------- */
>Ive been running QEMM 5.1 on my 386 for a couple of months now, using
>win3, Quattro Pro etc etc with no problems at all. I havent tried WP5.1
>but WP5 works OK. So I canUt really understand the complaints about
>QEMM 5.1 + QPRO + WP5.1.
>
>However, I have recently been trying to get a @#$% Adeptec SCSI adaptor
>to work, with absolutely no success, and I didnt think to suspect QEMM.
>Ill test the hypothesis ... and follow up this posting if ive anything
>interesting to add.

It isn't the adapter as much as it is the environment it is in.  The
adapter is a bus master and as such requires physical addresses to do its
job correctly.  When running Win30/QEMM or any such utility/program
that puts the 386 into virtual mode, the memory addresses are all logical
and no longer physical.  The adapter has no way to determine this and
even if it could it has no way to get the physical address from the 386
processor as those registers are protected and are under the control of
the application.
However, this is becoming all a rather mute point.  There are many ways to
have a bus master peacefully coexist in this environment.  With QEMM v5.0
and later a command line option of /DB:16 allows bus masters to be happy.
With Win 3.0 and later, you can use SMARTDRV.SYS to make it all work.

Or, this is Adaptec specific as I don't know the state of any other products,
you can use the ASW-1410 v2.0 or later driver available through distribution
that has VDS support.  This support is in Win 3.0 as well as QEMM v5.0
and later versions of both.  This solves the problems associated with
running a bus master in a virtual memory environment.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  neese@adaptex
				uunet!cs.utexas.edu!utacfd!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese