[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Does it matter where it's made? <was: Intel/Cyrix lawsuit>

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/06/91)

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) writes:

>Intel alleges Cyrix's foundry uses an Intel-patented process during wafer
>fabrication. Their suit was filed a day after Cyrix's suit. What seems
>odd to me is that Cyrix was sued, instead of the manufacturer (Taiwan
>Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp.)

	Here we go again! Small, dynamic company comes out with a competitive
product, but highly paid managers and hot shot engineers decide they can't
be bothered actually *making* anything - certainly not locally! So yet more
work is sent overseas, and another opportunity for strengthening our domestic
manufacturing base is lost.

	Mind you, this shouldn't be taken as a bias toward Intel. In early
'89, a loose 80386/20 in an AOX card I was considering slipped out of its
socket. On its bottom was stamped "KOREA". Sigh!

	No Asia-bashing intended; we're doing this to ourselves. For a
comprehensive review of the whole competitiveness issue, check out _Making_
Things_Better_:_Competing_In_Manufacturing_ by the U.S. Office of Technology
Assessment.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake			shwake@rsxtech