[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386sx, set high-memory to extended or expanded memory?

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (01/02/91)

I just got a 386SX with NEAT chips.  The NEAT chips allow me to
set the memory greater than 1 meg to expanded memory (EMS 4.0).
I have 4 meg.  Should I set the motherboard memory to
expanded or should I set it to extended then use QEMM.SYS to
make it work like expanded memory (I have QEMM)?  Which is
faster?  I should think it does not matter that much.  Anybody
has any experience?

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/04/91)

   The general answer to this question is another question:  What type of
memory is more useful to the programs you'll be running?

   If you'll be running Lotus 1-2-3 R3 for the most part, for example,
you should set your memory up as extended memory.  If you're running
Lotus 1-2-3 R2.2, on the other hand, you should set it up as expanded.

   So figure out what programs you'll be running, find out what type of
memory each of them will use, and make your decision based on that.  If
it turns out to be a split, you may want to consider QEMM or other such
programs, since they can often be set up to provide expanded memory to
programs which want it and extended memory to those which want extended.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan2.091603.24584@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu
(ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>I just got a 386SX with NEAT chips.  The NEAT chips allow me to
>set the memory greater than 1 meg to expanded memory (EMS 4.0).
>I have 4 meg.  Should I set the motherboard memory to
>expanded or should I set it to extended then use QEMM.SYS to
>make it work like expanded memory (I have QEMM)?  Which is
>faster?  I should think it does not matter that much.  Anybody
>has any experience?

I'll tell you what I did and it works just fine.  Set the bit in the XCMOS
setup to disable expanded memory.  When you install QEMM.SYS in your CONFIG.SYS
file, it will automatically allocate your >1Meg memory to either expanded or
extended depending on what the programs that are running need.  I've run all
kinds of programs that use expanded and extended memory and haven't had any
problems yet.  The only negative effect I've noticed so far from QEMM is that
it slow the hard drive data transfer rate down from about 800 K-bytes/sec to
just over 500 K-bytes/sec :-(  Someone on the net here warned about that and
it is true, I noticed it right away.  I've decided to live with it for the
benefits of QEMM.  BTW, QEMM takes up less memory below 640K than other
expanded memory managers alone (including Windows expanded memory manager) and
it acts like a expanded and extended memory manager.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail:                   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (01/05/91)

For those of you who have any of the 286 or 386 C&T chipsets, there is
a suite of drivers called The Last Byte, that does a lot of what QEMM.SYS
et al  do, without using Virtual 86 mode.  The Neat chipset allows you to
arbitrarily remap memory, so TLB fills in the holes above 640K with the
RAM that is normally hidden behind the ROMS and Video Ram.

There is NO performance penalty, as there is with QEMM.  It is also compatible
with Windows 3.0.

If you can ftp from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, you can get TLB at

PD1:<MSDOS.SYSUTL> TLB-V117.ZIP

It is crippleware, but you can experiment with it.  It is 30$ to register.

Or contact dlewis@scu.bitnet; he's the author.

--
             Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
"'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (01/06/91)

From article <13724@encore.Encore.COM>, by schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe):
> The only negative effect I've noticed so far from QEMM is that
> it slow the hard drive data transfer rate down from about 800 K-bytes/sec to
> just over 500 K-bytes/sec :-(  Someone on the net here warned about that and
> it is true, I noticed it right away.  I've decided to live with it for the
> benefits of QEMM.  BTW, QEMM takes up less memory below 640K than other
> expanded memory managers alone (including Windows expanded memory manager) and
> it acts like a expanded and extended memory manager.

Yes, I too notice the disk slowdown, but did not think much of it until
you mentioned it.  Anyone else see it?