[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] MFM/IDE: Peaceful coexistence possible?

mccarthy@well.sf.ca.us (Patrick McCarthy) (01/05/91)

I recently purchased an IDE drive, which I would like to use in
conjunction with my existing MFM drive.  My MFM controller has the
ability to function at a different base address, but this doesn't
seem to help.  Everyone I've talked to says they've heard it's possible,
but none have ever actually done it.

Anyone have any practical experience/advice?

Thanks,

Pat McCarthy
mccarthy@well.sf.ca.us

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (01/06/91)

mccarthy@well.sf.ca.us (Patrick McCarthy) writes:

>I recently purchased an IDE drive, which I would like to use in
>conjunction with my existing MFM drive.  My MFM controller has the
>ability to function at a different base address, but this doesn't
>seem to help.  Everyone I've talked to says they've heard it's possible,
>but none have ever actually done it.

>Anyone have any practical experience/advice?

you can do it if you write your own device driver, and set the dip switches
right, something i would rather not do, so i haven't.
if you have a copy of the yellow minix operating system book from prentice
hall, it have the source of a hd device driver in it. i dont know how
dos device drivers are put together, though.
if anyone knows an easier way, please let me know. i also want to use a
mfm+ide in my machine.