[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 3.5" drive for Sperry IT

nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) (01/02/91)

Although I know that a 3.5" drive can be added to the Sperry (I've
seen it done), I haven't yet succeeded in finding either the drive
or the board that works.  I've tried a number of vendors, including
CompuAdd and JDR Microdevices, all cooperative but without result.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion?  Thanks.

Norman Miller

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (01/03/91)

nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:

>Although I know that a 3.5" drive can be added to the Sperry (I've
>seen it done), I haven't yet succeeded in finding either the drive
>or the board that works.  I've tried a number of vendors, including
>CompuAdd and JDR Microdevices, all cooperative but without result.

>Does anyone out there have a suggestion?  Thanks.

  Hmmm, welcome aboard the sinking ship of good ole' Mitsubishi. I have
tried several times myself, with ROM ver 1.57 and the latest 1.58. So
far, the closest I've come (with the use of DRIVPARM), is the ability
to read and write 720k disks, but due to the funny strapping on the drive,
I was unable to access my other floppy drive. (sigh). There is a
particular type and brand I believe that works. I will try to get the name
and specs for you (and anyone else).

  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |         "nobody knows."

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (01/04/91)

In article <1030@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

   nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:

   >Although I know that a 3.5" drive can be added to the Sperry (I've
   >seen it done), I haven't yet succeeded in finding either the drive
   >or the board that works.  I've tried a number of vendors, including
   >CompuAdd and JDR Microdevices, all cooperative but without result.

   >Does anyone out there have a suggestion?  Thanks.

     Hmmm, welcome aboard the sinking ship of good ole' Mitsubishi. I have
   tried several times myself, with ROM ver 1.57 and the latest 1.58. So
   far, the closest I've come (with the use of DRIVPARM), is the ability
   to read and write 720k disks, but due to the funny strapping on the drive,
   I was unable to access my other floppy drive. (sigh). There is a
   particular type and brand I believe that works. I will try to get the name
   and specs for you (and anyone else).

Hmm.. Interesting.. I've abandoned my own ship by now, but one of my last
exercises with it was trying to add a 3.5"-drive.. After a lot of trouble,
I found out that the PD program-package "FDFORMAT 1.5" (current version 1.6)
contained a driver called "FDREAD.EXE" (can be loaded as a TSR or a device
driver). With this driver loaded, I was able to access my TEAC 235 as a 1.44MB
drive. Depending a bit on the tide, the phase of the moon and the color of
my shirt etc, I sometimes was able to read a 720 floppy, too. Trying to
*write* a 720k disk always ended up in disaster, turning the disk bad.
("General failiure (sp?) reading drive B:").

I had to format the disks with "FDFORMAT" from the same package.

My BIOS version was 1.57, and the DOS version MS-DOS 4.01. I hung the drive
off the regular MB-based FDC.

I'm a bit uneasy about this FDformat package, as the FDformat.exe-program seems
to do things to the FDC that is not set back after the program terminates.

Some times, disks formatted by DOS's format or a program called "diskdupe"
after fdformat.exe had been used, were unreadable on other systems. This did
not happen unless FDformat had been used first. FDformat is a neat little
program, but in my experience it's advisable to reboot after using it.
(No, I never got around to registering FDformat, I avoided the trouble by
selling the Sperry and getting a 386 :-))

  Regards,

    -Terje
thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (01/06/91)

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) writes:

>In article <1030@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>   nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:

>   >Although I know that a 3.5" drive can be added to the Sperry (I've
>   >seen it done), I haven't yet succeeded in finding either the drive
>   >or the board that works.  I've tried a number of vendors, including
>   >CompuAdd and JDR Microdevices, all cooperative but without result.

>   >Does anyone out there have a suggestion?  Thanks.

>     Hmmm, welcome aboard the sinking ship of good ole' Mitsubishi. I have
>   tried several times myself, with ROM ver 1.57 and the latest 1.58. So
>   far, the closest I've come (with the use of DRIVPARM), is the ability
>   to read and write 720k disks, but due to the funny strapping on the drive,
>   I was unable to access my other floppy drive. (sigh). There is a
>   particular type and brand I believe that works. I will try to get the name
>   and specs for you (and anyone else).

  Okay, here's the word:
    It has been said that a TEAC 135 drive will work (a 235 will also work,
  but you must jumper DS3). Install the drive(B), and set it up as a 360k, I
  am told (but I have had better luck using 1.2M), and include the following
  line in config.sys file:  DRIVEPARM = /D:1 /F:2 /H:2 /I /S:9 /T:80 .
  Reboot and away you go (I am told).
    Again, I was trying a Toshiba FDD4216G, and the closest I got was R/W
  access to the drive as a true 730k, but unable to access other floppy
  drives probably due to funny strapping. I was handed a Pheonix BIOS set
  to try, but I haven't tossed them in yet to see if they would work; I'll
  let everyone know. Anyway, that's all I know on it. I'm going to try to
  invest in a 386 (AMI BIOS only, of course), and hopefully fix all kinds
  of problems, but it's going to be a while.
						good luck.

-e.b.