[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] EMM386 question

hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl (Hayo Baan) (01/07/91)

Hi there,

I am having problems using EMM386.SYS as extended -> expanded memory converter.
It works fine with all 'Normal' applications (i.e. that don't use extended
memory). But when I use ACAD (version 10) with EXTENDED AUTOLISP, I get an
error like this : Need VCIP within virtual 8086. (What does this mean).

My configuration :
-TRIGEM '386VE with '387 25Mhz.
-640KB base Ram, 3MB extended memory.
-Dos 4.01 with 4DOS3.02a, I am using the dos version of EMM386.SYS.

Note : when I use the shipped EMM386.SYS I don't get this error, but then some
(this got shipped with DOS 3.3, I am now using 4.01) other applications don't
run propperly, also I get a very strange output on mem /debug
(it states that all EMS handles are defined, and it shows very strange names
for those handles (it looks more like a memory dump to me...))

Help would be appreciated...

--

+------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Hayo R. Baan     | E-Mail : hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl                           |

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (01/08/91)

In article <4602@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> hrbaan@cs.ruu.nl (Hayo Baan) writes:
>I am having problems using EMM386.SYS as extended -> expanded memory conve
>But when I use ACAD (version 10) with EXTENDED AUTOLISP, I get an
>error like this : Need VCIP within virtual 8086. (What does this mean).

  Assuming that you bought the software, the Installation and Performance
Guide for Release 10 covers this quite well in detail.  Given that they spend
about 15 pages covering this, I won't try to repeat it here.
   Extended AutoLISP can coexist with extended memory management programs that
confirm to the VCPI specification. Quarterdeck EMM396 (QEMM-386) & 386MAX from
Qualitas do.  Many other do NOT, and are not compatible with autocad.
I seem to recall (but possibly in error) that extended autolisp can NOT be run
from expanded memory.  It uses expanded memory, but must have a large enough
chunk of extended available for the program.  Either way, carefull selection
and optimization of the autocad variables LISPXMEM, ACADXMEM, ACADLIMMEM,
LISPHEAP, LISPSTACK, & ACADFREERAM will allow you to work just fine.
    So, the problem may be several fold, first, these variables may not be
set compatibly with your system requirements, secondly, you extended-expanded
driver may not be compatible, thirdly, the ext-exp driver may not be compatible
with the variables, forthly, it may not be possible to use only expanded memory
and extended autolisp.  Then, you may have a TSR which is restricting AUTOLISP
from working properly with the 386 cpu.  Remember that in order to change
these variables properly, the system should be rebooted.  Check both the
acad.bat and autoexec.bat files for duplication and errors.  Also, no leading
or trailing spaces are allowed in the variable definition.
   Hope this helps.  Reviewing the manual, it really appears to me, that you
MUST have 1 MB of EXTENDED memory available to extended autolisp in order to
use extended autolisp.  If you really feel you must remap the ext to exp,
I think you won't be able to use extended autolist, but can use autolisp.
Using that ext exp driver, I emplore you to set all you environment variables
(mentioned above), both carefully and correctly.   It is easy to spend several
days doing this properly, so without the manuals, I'd give you a chance about
zero to get it right without a LOT of help.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu