[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SIMMs from Peripheral Outlet

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (01/04/91)

I am considering buying some SIMMs from a company called Peripheral Outlet.
They have 80ns 1MegX9 SIMMs for $46.00 and they give you a lifetime warranty
(might be the lifetime of the SIMMs or the company - whichever comes first).
Anyway, has anyone had any experience with this company?  How long have they
been around?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Town

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (01/05/91)

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes:

>I am considering buying some SIMMs from a company called Peripheral Outlet.
>They have 80ns 1MegX9 SIMMs for $46.00 and they give you a lifetime warranty
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>(might be the lifetime of the SIMMs or the company - whichever comes first).
>Anyway, has anyone had any experience with this company?  How long have they
>been around?

>Thanks in advance,

>Brian Town

Can somebody explain me what does LIFETIME WARRANTY means?

Is that due to defective while fabrication of the chip
and if you ever find the chip fail due to misfabricated then
the manufacture will replace the chip?.

I believe that no manufacture will replace the chip due to abuse,
static, misuse and some other things.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (01/09/91)

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan  Ludirdja) writes:

>Can somebody explain me what does LIFETIME WARRANTY means?
>
>Is that due to defective while fabrication of the chip
>and if you ever find the chip fail due to misfabricated then
>the manufacture will replace the chip?.
>
>I believe that no manufacture will replace the chip due to abuse,
>static, misuse and some other things.
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>----------

I believe that this warranty is from the distributor, NOT the manufacturer.
So, if the distributor goes out of business then you no longer have a warranty.
P.O. told me that you simply send them your bad parts and they send you new
ones.  That is about all I know about the deal.

I share your skepticism, but since the price is good, there isn't really
anything to lose.

Brian

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (01/09/91)

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) writes:

>dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan  Ludirdja) writes:

>>Can somebody explain me what does LIFETIME WARRANTY means?
>>
>>Is that due to defective while fabrication of the chip
>>and if you ever find the chip fail due to misfabricated then
>>the manufacture will replace the chip?.
>>
>>I believe that no manufacture will replace the chip due to abuse,
>>static, misuse and some other things.
>>
>>Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>>----------

>I believe that this warranty is from the distributor, NOT the manufacturer.
>So, if the distributor goes out of business then you no longer have a warranty.
>P.O. told me that you simply send them your bad parts and they send you new
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>ones.  That is about all I know about the deal.
 ^^^^
>I share your skepticism, but since the price is good, there isn't really
>anything to lose.

>Brian

Brian, do you have any idea after how long (e.g. 1 week, 1 mo. or 1 year)
does the distributor will replace bad chip?

My statement is just to emphasis that LIFETIME WARRANTY has a special
meaning and everybody should understand before ordering chips from
a company who offer LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (01/10/91)

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan  Ludirdja) writes:

>Brian, do you have any idea after how long (e.g. 1 week, 1 mo. or 1 year)
>does the distributor will replace bad chip?
>
>My statement is just to emphasis that LIFETIME WARRANTY has a special
>meaning and everybody should understand before ordering chips from
>a company who offer LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!

They told me that if the chips EVER failed, they would replace them.  If they
only would replace them for a week, month or year, then it wouldn't be
a lifetime warranty would it? (intentional sarcasm)

It is my belief that when they say LIFETIME WARRANTY, they really mean
LIFETIME WARRANTY.  When I talked with them I asked enough questions to feel
comfortable that I wasn't missing anything.

Brian