[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ailing AT clone ... hardware info discrepancy

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.230236.1@max.u.washington.edu> scott@max.u.washington.edu writes:
    I have an AT clone that has developed a program, and I was
    hoping that someone might be able to tell how might I fix
    this problem.

Don't fix it !  I'll pay you a lot for an AT clone that can develop programs !
:-)
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

dlow@pollux.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/11/91)

> One day when I turned-on the AT instead of booting up normally
> it gave me an "invalid configuration information - please
> run SETUP program". I try to run the setup program in my
> DOS 3.3 disk, however, it gave me a message as follows:
> "Discrepancies have been found in the information stored
> in the permanent memory of this computer. You must use the
> Hardware System Setup to corret this information." and then
> it just exits.

First, your CMOS configuration table is blown. The most likely culprit
is your CMOS battery is dying or dead. It's a 6V lithium battery hidden
somewhere inside your PC. Any electronics store will have sell
replacements. It's a good idea to replace the battery before
doing a hardware setup, when you find a proper setup program.
Clone makers often supply their own setup programs so I can't
help you there.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com