[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386SX-16 labeled 386SX-20

cbishop@zeus.dnet.ge.com (Chuck Bishop) (01/11/91)

I recently bought a ZEOS 386SX-16.  While installing a mouse, I
looked at the processor and it was labeled 386SX-20.  I later ran
a speed test (by Award Software) and it showed it running at 20.1 - 20.5 mhz.
I also ran PC Mag's Benchmark Test V5.1. That showed the PC running at
15.5 mhz.  Which is right?  Did I get a 20 mhz machine? If so and it is
running at 16 mhz, can I jump it up tp 20 mhz?  Should I?
Chuck Bishop				Internet:  cbishop@zeus.dnet.ge.com
GE Aerospace
Burlington, Mass   USA			"Just Do It" - Nike

c37189h@saha.hut.fi (Harri "Haba" Suomalainen) (01/12/91)

In article <9860@ge-dab.ge.com> cbishop@zeus.dnet.ge.com (Chuck Bishop) writes:
>I recently bought a ZEOS 386SX-16.  While installing a mouse, I
>looked at the processor and it was labeled 386SX-20.  I later ran
>a speed test (by Award Software) and it showed it running at 20.1 - 20.5 mhz.
>I also ran PC Mag's Benchmark Test V5.1. That showed the PC running at
>15.5 mhz.  Which is right?  Did I get a 20 mhz machine? If so and it is
>running at 16 mhz, can I jump it up tp 20 mhz?  Should I?

Some programs think your machine is faster than it actually is. Don't count
on what the tell you. (Unless you know the program is reliable!)

If you are running at 16 MHz it might be worth to try getting a 20 MHz
oscillator. A friend of mine did so and clocked his machine from 16 MHz
to 19.9 MHz with no problems. (He even had a 16 MHz CPU).

-hs
--
Harri Suomalainen         c37189h@saha.hut.fi         haba@otax.tky.hut.fi