[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Toshiba MK134 Hard Drives -- Clarification

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (01/14/91)

In <1991Jan11.064335.15097@cs.ucla.edu> chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:

>I have two Toshiba MK134 drives running RLL with DTC 7287 controller.
>Sometimes after many hours of operation, the drives seem to park and restart
>themselves.  They _SOUND_ like when I just powered up the system, with the
>heads clicking into place and the drives spinning up to speed.  The system
>doesn't really reboot, and everything continues to work properly.  I have not

I've have a couple MK134s here.  I haven't noticed that problem, but what I
have noticed that they do start out as nice whisper quiet drives, and then
gradually get VERY noisey.  This has happened with three different MK134s.
I called Toshiba about it, they didn't know anything about that happening
anywhere else.  I wanted to send them back to them for repairs, but Toshiba
only does warranty through their dealers, so I am not going to buy anymore
Toshiba drives until they become responsible for their own warranties, like
Seagate is. Which is unfortunate, becuase I also own an MK234 IDE drive whic
is super quiet, is not getting noisier and is nice and fast.