[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Which 486?

jgann@x102a.harris-atd.com (gann ja 11314) (01/13/91)

I am in the market for a 486/25 machine and have tenatively narrowed
the field to either PC-BRAND or GATEWAY 2000. In either case I will
get a non-interlaced 1meg SVGA with a SONY 1304 monitor. I would like
comments from users of these machines. Positive, negative or general.

What I am looking for naturally is maximum performance for minimum cost!

If user of other brands want to comment, that also would be welcome.

	Thanks in advance and happy computing!

--
Jim Gann
Harris Government Communications Systems Division

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) (01/14/91)

In <JGANN.91Jan12213752@x102a.harris-atd.com> jgann@x102a.harris-atd.com (gann ja 11314) writes:

>I am in the market for a 486/25 machine and have tenatively narrowed
>the field to either PC-BRAND or GATEWAY 2000. In either case I will
>get a non-interlaced 1meg SVGA with a SONY 1304 monitor. I would like
>comments from users of these machines. Positive, negative or general.

   I bought a Gateway 486-25mHz last spring to run Unix and have been quite
happy with both the machine and the company.  Shipment arrived on time, to
begin with.  Everything appeared to work but the VGA card didn't pass the
(included) diagnostics tests for all the more obscure modes, and Gateway
swapped it out without quibble.  Also, I sent in my order just before Windows
3.0 was announced.  A week or two later Gateway started bundling win3.0 and
a serial mouse with their upper-level systems and they retroactively sent me
a win3.0/mouse package though they didn't really owe it to me and I hadn't
even asked for it.  'Course I don't use either of these (Windows won't run
under the version of VP/ix I have and I already had a bus mouse installed)
but it was an impressively nice gesture.

   One point, maybe not so minor:  the HD that came with my system was only
150 megs (I think they include 200 meg drives now) and that ain't enough.  A
little DOS, a little Unix, a few GNU files, a dash of Usenet and alluva sudden
it's FULL UP.  If you're going to run an all-up Unix system with a newsfeed
you should consider asking if they have a good deal on a larger drive.