[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tandy 4000 vs. Wang VGA incompatibility

jeh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/12/91)

I've got a Tandy 4000 at home, with a rev. C1 motherboard and
bios version 1.03.01 (by Tandy's version scheme).  This is
Tandy's first-generation 16 MHz 386 system; it uses the original
Chips and Technologies 386 chipset, whose name escapes me at the
moment, and a Phoenix BIOS.  I'm trying to install a Wang VGA
card, which uses the Tseng Labs ET-3000 chip, in this machine.
The computer seems to hang upon power-up-- the video card doesn't
seem to get initialized and the computer never does anything
further in the start-up sequence.  I eliminated all cards except
32-bit memory and Tandy's serial/parallel card, to no effect.

The odd thing is, I tried it in a 4000LX (Tandy's
nearly-identical 20 MHz box), and it works fine. This machine was
purchased shortly after or before the 4000 (I can't remember
which came first), also has a rev C1 motherboard, and has ROM rev
1.04.01.  The card also works on a 16 MHz 386SX noname
motherboard with Intel's chipset.  I would also hope :) that it
works on Wang's machines of its era, which I think are based on
the same C&T chipset as the 4000.

Anybody have a clue?  Is it possibly a bug in the BIOS?  (naw,
Tandy's perfect :)

  --jh

--
John Hood, Mann Library, Cornell University
jhood@albert.mannlib.cornell.edu, jeh@crnlvax5.bitnet, uunet!biar!jhood

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan11.190207.1992@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> jeh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I've got a Tandy 4000 at home, with a rev. C1 motherboard and
> ... system description deleted...
>further in the start-up sequence.  I eliminated all cards except
>32-bit memory and Tandy's serial/parallel card, to no effect.

I have never used a Tandy box, the following is mainly my experience with other
systems:

The major questions to be asked are:

(1) is the VGA card an 8 bit or 16 bit card?

(2) is there any addressable card within the video ROM BOIS segment,
    typically C000:0000 (e.g. SCCI controller with its own BIOS or RAM card
    covering the same segment)?

If your card is an 8 bit card and a 16 bit peripheral card (or vis-versa)
are sitting in the same segement, it will be in a conflict and will not work.

If both peripheral cards are same bus size (e.g. both are 16 bit), make sure
their addresses do not overlap.

I would strip down the system to a care minimum (i.e. include pulling out
additional RAM cards) and add a card at a time in order to isolate the
problem. If your system cannot boot with the base memory/floppy drive/VGA card,
the conflict is definitely between the VGA card and the motherboard and may
not be easily resolved.

Hope this will help!

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300