[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Serial/mouse pinouts needed

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) (01/15/91)

I do not have a PC nor documentation to answer this
one myself:

I need the pinouts of the serial port and the
MS bus and serial mice plugs.

Also, someone told me that a MS serial and bus mouse
are the same except for the connector. Is this true?
Can one be used in place of the other?

Thanks for any and all help.

* ************************************************************** *
* *                                                            * *
* *  Mario D'Alessio            Motorola, Inc.                 * *
* *  dalessio@motcid.UUCP       Cellular Infrastructure Group  * *
* *                                                            * *
* ************************************************************** *

archer@stlvm2.iinus1.ibm.com ("Gary D. Archer") (01/16/91)

Ref:  Append to PC-HDWE USENET (ARCHER) at 02:33:30 on 91/01/15

<I couldn't mail direct.. our dumb mailer cant resolve your id>

A bus mouse is the exact same as a serial mouse.  However the bus mouse
has a small card that is really a special COM port that operates using
a different com address than com1 or com2.  I converted my bus mouse to
a serial mouse (as OS/2 didn't support the bus mouse) just by unpluging
the mouse from the bus port and pluging it into the serial.

The port hookup is a standard DB-9 RS-232 connection.. the doc's at home
so I don't know the exact hookup.

Gary