[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Question about 1 meg VGA cards

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) (01/12/91)

Just thinking about the memory involved in displaying a 1024x768 256 color
picture...

1024 pixels x 256 colors = 1 K bytes per row
1 K bytes x 768 rows = 768 K bytes

So, the most memory required to display such a picture is 768K, right?
What is done with the other 232K left over in the 1 meg of video memory?

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

raster@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jerry D Bain) (01/12/91)

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) writes:

>Just thinking about the memory involved in displaying a 1024x768 256 color
>picture...

>1024 pixels x 256 colors = 1 K bytes per row
>1 K bytes x 768 rows = 768 K bytes

>So, the most memory required to display such a picture is 768K, right?
>What is done with the other 232K left over in the 1 meg of video memory?

Yes, all video cards that require 1meg of memory for 1024x768x256 are wasting
memory.  Usually the memory gets fragmented due to the strange paging techniques
the various chip sets use to get access to the meg of memory through the 64k
VGA "window"...

I once asked an engineer at an *unnamed* video board manufacturer what the deal
was...  He responded that the inefficient use of memory was a result of an
attempt at getting the base cost down on the control circuitry.  With the
paging that is used (on most boards), the memory gets fragmented as a result
of the attempt to simplify the calculation of addresses that are on power of
2 boundries.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/12/91)

In article <4839@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu writes:
|Just thinking about the memory involved in displaying a 1024x768 256 color
|picture...
|So, the most memory required to display such a picture is 768K, right?
|What is done with the other 232K left over in the 1 meg of video memory?

Nothing. Do you want your money back?

--
militia: 1.a. A citizen army, as distinct from a body of professional soldiers.
           b. The armed citzenry, as distinct from the regular army.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/13/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware, chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu typed:
$Just thinking about the memory involved in displaying a 1024x768 256 color
$picture...
$1024 pixels x 256 colors = 1 K bytes per row
$1 K bytes x 768 rows = 768 K bytes

   Yeah, that's the correct answer, though the method isn't 100% on.  The
usual method of achieving more than one bit depth is to use bitplanes;
in this case, there would be a series of eight 1024x768x1 arrays.  Some
boards no doubt do it otherwise, though.

$What is done with the other 232K left over in the 1 meg of video memory?

   Which other 232K?  There's another 256K there.  Oh well, in any case,
nothing.  It's exactly the same as what happens with most other modes on
lesser boards (e.g. nearly half of 512K in 640x480x256 mode).  It's
hardly something to get worried about; the cost difference, if any, would
be quite small, and could even work to the advantage of a 1M board.

$Chuck Rickard
$(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)
$
$Chuck Rickard
$(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

   BTW, your .signature is appearing twice.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/16/91)

In article <4842@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Chuck Rickard) writes:
|Second, I had heard that some programs such as QEMM and DR-DOS were going to
|have drivers which would claim unused memory in the video card and map that
|into usable space (on a 386, of course).  Have you heard anything like this?

Yes and no.  The amount of video card memory exposed to DOS is
limited.  The 1 meg on the card is accessed by bank switching. QEMM can
give you access to the memory that is directly exposed but doesn't do
the bank switching, nor would there be any reason to except as a weird
type of EMS. Such memory would be extremely slow in any case. QEMM
could do this but doesn't since it's not worth the bother. (Real, fast)
memory is cheap and this kind of stuff is a waste of time.