[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Panasonic 1124 Buffer Expansion

alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) (01/05/91)

Does anyone know how to increase the size of the memory in the Panasonic 1124
Printer.  I know kits are available, but was wondering if the modification
involved just adding RAM and maybe changing DIP switches.

Art Todesco
att!ihlpf!alt

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (01/06/91)

In <1991Jan4.183719.18156@cbnewsd.att.com> alt@cbnewsd.att.com (art.l.todesco) writes:

>Does anyone know how to increase the size of the memory in the Panasonic 1124
>Printer.  I know kits are available, but was wondering if the modification
>involved just adding RAM and maybe changing DIP switches.

You just have to add a STATIC RAM chip to your printer.  It automatically
detects the extra memory.

The chip number I am using is a Hitachi HM65256BLP-12.  It cost me $14.00CDN
from a local (Toronto) electronics shop (and I think that price is high...).

What you do is pop off the front panel of your printer (3 friction catches--
one on each corner and one in the middle), remove the platen knob, and take
out the 3 screws hidden behind the front panel.  Then the whole upper part of
the case just lifts off like a car hood.  There is a 28 pin socket IC6 which
is where the new RAM chip goes.

--
Guy Lemieux          ENG SCI                          University of Toronto
guy@contact.uucp      9 T 2      Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (01/06/91)

I don't know about the 1124, but the 1180 just needed a 32Kx8 sram.
The 1080, on the other hand needed a daughter board.  If the
manual talks about a 32k expansion, it may just be a chip.  Just pop
the lid, and look for an empty 28-pin socket.
/mike
ps.  I haven't been able to confirm this with Panasonic, but it seems
to work on my printer

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

FQH@psuvm.psu.edu (01/08/91)

     ...or you could pay $60 for the official Panasonic 32K buffer chip
     as I just did...

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (01/16/91)

In <662@ub.d.umn.edu> jlarson@ub.d.umn.edu (James A. Larson) writes:

>In article <91008.031619FQH@psuvm.psu.edu> FQH@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>
>>     ...or you could pay $60 for the official Panasonic 32K buffer chip
>>     as I just did...

> Did you happen to notice if the chip was a Sanyo?  I called Sanyo with the
> number of the 8k chip installed in my printer.  I asked him about a 32k chip
> and after a long pause he gave me a number.  I tried desperately

Whats the number?

Charles